• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Third's Build Discussion

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks.

I looked at various ways of doing it (tilt up the bed to expose storage, drawers, etc). I stowed a lot of gear in army footlockers while I was testing various floorplans and layouts. They worked really well, so I went with this. I designed this so that three can fit under the bed and put up a barrier to protect the fresh water tank. The track base also makes sure nothing slides or bounces out from under the bed.

*one of the doors is off track in the pic holding up the right side and my OCD is triggered

;)
I suffer every day of OCD but my wallet usally gets me over most of those episodes ! I put a sliding door on my bathroom and kick my own ass for not putting a pocket door on the backside of my bathroomwall /closet to give a little more privacy but to late now maybe a slide curtain from the fridge wall over to b.r. wall !

Third From Texas

Being an old IT guy, I can't use a desk that doesn't have a keyboard/mouse shelf. While the only PC that will be in the truck is a laptop, I still use a full-sized kb/m. Eventually I'll be doing some drone photography (and kite aerial photography) as well as video editing and a comfy workstation is a must.

:)

I need to re-do the little shelf below the TV tomorrow and get the headboard box framed and skinned. I wanted to start on the little overhead cabinets for the kitchen windows, but I think I'll skip straight to plumbing this week.

Fishing is starting to pick up and a guy landed a nice 11' tiger shark yesterday.

20220731_185758.jpg

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Being an old IT guy, I can't use a desk that doesn't have a keyboard/mouse shelf. While the only PC that will be in the truck is a laptop, I still use a full-sized kb/m. Eventually I'll be doing some drone photography (and kite aerial photography) as well as video editing and a comfy workstation is a must.

:)

I need to re-do the little shelf below the TV tomorrow and get the headboard box framed and skinned. I wanted to start on the little overhead cabinets for the kitchen windows, but I think I'll skip straight to plumbing this week.

Fishing is starting to pick up and a guy landed a nice 11' tiger shark yesterday.

View attachment 874764
Man you cant ever have enough storage ! If you have a wall fill it up with cabinets of what ever you need ! and the overheads hold so much small stuff to save your drawer space and you dont have to do them all at once but you will be glad you did !

Third From Texas

Man you cant ever have enough storage ! If you have a wall fill it up with cabinets of what ever you need ! and the overheads hold so much small stuff to save your drawer space and you dont have to do them all at once but you will be glad you did !
Everyone with experience says that.

Honestly, I have more storage already than I actually use in my house. I'm still trying to imagine what I'm going to put in four chester drawers (I don't even use two at home). Hanging closet consist of a couple jackets and a dozen t-shirts. A place for electronics (drones, cameras, etc). A place for ammo and guns. Same for the kitchen stuff (I've never needed more than one knife, fork, or spoon to cook and eat a meal). One skillet, one pan, one pot. A coupe plates and bowls. Can opener, bottle opener. Pantry for canned and dry goods. Little fridge. The little microwave I have is the same tiny one I use at home. I never use my oven at the house since I got a little InstaPot airfryer four years ago (so I got another one for the truck). It will only ever be me and the dog traveling. I'm one of those people who could live out of a backpack and a duffle bag (toured most of Texas and even Scotland on a Harley that way).

Now if I were traveling with a gf or wife (or godforbid, kids) then I could see wanting every square inch of useable space dedicated to storage and still getting bitched at for not having enough. But me and the dog don't require much. I'm far more short on external space for things like tools, fishing gear, recovery gear, etc. Outside I'm going to need way more storage than I can fit (I have the M1082 for beach camping but will likely come up with a better solution for actual travels)

I'd rather keep an open feel to the space inside, to be honest. If after some time I deem more is needed, cabinets are easy to add.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone with experience says that.

Honestly, I have more storage already than I actually use in my house. I'm still trying to imagine what I'm going to put in four chester drawers (I don't even use two at home). Hanging closet consist of a couple jackets and a dozen t-shirts. A place for electronics (drones, cameras, etc). A place for ammo and guns. Same for the kitchen stuff (I've never needed more than one knife, fork, or spoon to cook and eat a meal). One skillet, one pan, one pot. A coupe plates and bowls. Can opener, bottle opener. Pantry for canned and dry goods. Little fridge. The little microwave I have is the same tiny one I use at home. I never use my oven at the house since I got a little InstaPot airfryer four years ago (so I got another one for the truck). It will only ever be me and the dog traveling. I'm one of those people who could live out of a backpack and a duffle bag (toured most of Texas and even Scotland on a Harley that way).

Now if I were traveling with a gf or wife (or godforbid, kids) then I could see wanting every square inch of useable space dedicated to storage and still getting bitched at for not having enough. But me and the dog don't require much. I'm far more short on external space for things like tools, fishing gear, recovery gear, etc. Outside I'm going to need way more storage than I can fit (I have the M1082 for beach camping but will likely come up with a better solution for actual travels)

I'd rather keep an open feel to the space inside, to be honest. If after some time I deem more is needed, cabinets are easy to add.
Your exactly rite you can ad wall cabs anytime after 30 yrs im institutionalized of a herd of people trying to cram stuff in every spot with not enough spots then them wine to me like i built the dam thing !So i jammed cabs everywhere in this thing in case i ever have to live in it or sale it cause womenzzes luvs storage and you know how much stuff a stripper brings with them when they tour i will need all the upper cabs just for body glitter and colonge and alot of slikem ! And this instapot air fryer is that one thing and ive been thinking about trying one but hadnt pulled the trigger post a pic cause eatin the best part of camping well almost !

Third From Texas

Your exactly rite you can ad wall cabs anytime after 30 yrs im institutionalized of a herd of people trying to cram stuff in every spot with not enough spots then them wine to me like i built the dam thing !So i jammed cabs everywhere in this thing in case i ever have to live in it or sale it cause womenzzes luvs storage and you know how much stuff a stripper brings with them when they tour i will need all the upper cabs just for body glitter and colonge and alot of slikem ! And this instapot air fryer is that one thing and ive been thinking about trying one but hadnt pulled the trigger post a pic cause eatin the best part of camping well almost !
This is the one I use at the house. I cook everything that needs to go in an oven or a fryer in this thing (except pizzas). It's gone with me to the beach many times.

20220801_135703.jpg

The one I got for the truck has a little larger footprint. It doesn't have the rotisserie but this model can come with it for a little more money (I think I've only used the rotisserie once) but this one can cook a little 12" pizza. Haven't unboxed it yet.

817iJotdbtL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This is the one I use at the house. I cook everything that needs to go in an oven or a fryer in this thing (except pizzas). It's gone with me to the beach many times.

View attachment 874807

The one I got for the truck has a little larger footprint. It doesn't have the rotisserie but this model can come with it for a little more money (I think I've only used the rotisserie once) but this one can cook a little 12" pizza. Haven't unboxed it yet.

View attachment 874809
Definitely a faster way to cook food without heating up the house or habitat!
Same thing we use here at work for lunches...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 874807

View attachment 874809
I thought they were like 400 bucks! So either i buy this thing of the feret in new mexico in the classafieds

Third From Texas

So you can put like batterd fish or chicken in it and it would come out fried ?
Yep, but look over some batter recipes. I've yet to find anything frozen that didn't fry up just like in a real fryer. My rule of thumb is that if it can be cooked in an oven, it can be air fried. Frozen onion rings, frozen fried jalapenos, frozen fries, frozen fried pickles or green beans, fish sticks, pre-battered fish and chicken, all come out awesome.

But I've had mixed results with various hand battered items. Thicker batters (tempura, beer batters, etc that really need to be deep fried) don't come out very good at all (bad actually). Your lighter cornmeal type batters work great as long as they aren't too thick. Egg wash/flour or cornmeal stuff does well (again, just don't glob it on). The trick I've found is less batter is better.

The kicker is that it's way healthier not snarfing down a couple ounces of grease. And I sometimes mist on some zero calorie cooking spray before I put something in the air fryer and it helps make stuff crispy (a lot of the frozen fried/oven stuff has some grease already in the batter to help it crisp up). Grease is fat and fat tastes good. So in it's absence I like to spice up your base batter a bit. And as I said, a mist of cooking spray helps crisp stuff up.

There are millions of recipes online for air fryers. Use what works well for other people.

Best kitchen appliance I own, hands down. And as mentioned by Mullaney, it's super fast and won't heat up the kitchen or hab. I do tons of fish and chicken

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Fryer is going to give you the ability to cook bigger stuff.
Toasting is the light weight version...
Admittedly, I've not unboxed mine. But the 20qt Omni "toaster" version I got for the truck is really the same exact thing as the 10qt Vortex (just no rotisserie). It has all the same capabilities.

The little Vortex uses 1500w, the Omni uses 1800w.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, but look over some batter recipes. I've yet to find anything frozen that didn't fry up just like in a real fryer. My rule of thumb is that if it can be cooked in an oven, it can be air fried. Frozen onion rings, frozen fried jalapenos, frozen fries, frozen fried pickles or green beans all come out awesome.

But I've had mixed results with various hand battered items. Thicker batters (tempura, beer batters, etc thatr really need to be deep fried) don't come out very good at all (bad actually). Your lighter cornmeal type batters work great as long as they aren't too thick. Egg wash/flour or cornmeal stuff does well (again, just don't glob it on). The trick I've found is less batter is better.

The kicker is that it's way healthier not snarfing down a couple ounces of grease. And I sometimes mist on some zero calorie cooking spray before I put something in the air fryer and it helps make stuff crispy (a lot of the frozen fried/oven stuff has some grease already in the batter to help it crisp up). Grease is fat and fat tastes good. So in it's absence I like to spice up your base batter a bit. And as I said, a mist of cooking spray helps crisp stuff up.

There are millions of recipes online for air fryers. Use what works well for other people.

Best kitchen appliance I own, hands down. And as mentioned by Mullaney, it's super fast and won't heat up the kitchen or hab. I do tons of fish and chicken
Thats great ive been looking in between naps at all the different typs some have baskets like a deep fryer so theres to many choices so i will sleep on it tonight and start over tomorrow so thanks for all the info . Also studying sises for where i will store it on the truck when not using it i have some really important appliances that have to fit no matter what like a blender its as important as a bottle opener on party nights

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Admittedly, I've not unboxed mine. But the 20qt Omni "toaster" version I got for the truck is really the same exact thing as the 10qt Vortex (just no rotisserie). It has all the same capabilities.

The little Vortex uses 1500w, the Omni uses 1800w.
I think the 10 qt will work for me im not runnung a mobil soup line lol ! If ya feed em too much it takes forever to get em drunk !!!!!

Third From Texas

One little quirk with mine. It always beeps "Food Burn" two minutes before the cooking is done. No matter what mode, temp, or cooking duration. It's more of a "two minute warning" in my case. I don't know if it's glitched or what, but it's never affected anything. It did it the first time I cooked something and it's done it every time since.

I know that is a safety feature that prevents the element from overheating, but as best I can tell it's not the case here and it's never changed any cooling temp, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks