• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

this a 5 ton? (A: M51A2 with LDS multifuel engine)

bkcamaro

found this for sale just down the road from my work 1971 5 ton. After doing some looking online, i read that the 5 tons had a NA Cummins and not the turbo diesel found in the 2 1/2. Is this a 5 ton or a 2 1/2

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It IS an older 5-Ton as already verified. Some of the "dead-giveaways":

- Longer Hood than a Deuce.
- Longer Fenders - note the LARGE OPEN SPACE behind the front wheel. (The Deuce has nearly uniform clearance fore and aft of the tire.).
- 10-Bolt Wheels (already mentioned).
- There are other ready indicators, but your photos do not show those details - axles, suspension hardware, and real clincher: THE DATA PLATE.

Let us know if you buy her!

Carry on.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a few batteries with you. Whomever parked it left the headlights on.
Not sure about the m39 wiring my m817 nothing works till the battery switch is on. My deuce headlights will come on with the switch off.

Real nice looking truck and frankly 3900 for a dump is a steal!

wdbtchr

The tipoff for me to tell the difference is the long gap between the front wheel and the back of the fender. Deuce is right there at the back of the fender. You can tell from far away.

Scrounger

As already posted it is a 5 ton. The air cleaner on the fender is always a giveaway. If it is on the right it is an M39 series. If it’s on the left it is an 800 series with the Cummins.

There is some unusual hose plumping that looks like it is for the heater, not a deal breaker. The exhaust is non-stock, also not a deal breaker. It has the last version of the power steering type and has the later steering wheel also, that’s a good thing. I would replace the front tires so they match the rears.
If that truck runs as well as it looks and it was closer to me I would grab it.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was an M51A2 for sale here in Hawthorne recently, but it wasn't as nice as the truck your looking at. It looks good, so if it runs, stops, and dumps go for it.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has a tank type engine heater and a crew compartment heater; good add-ons to have! You won't find better for the price if everything mechanical is OK.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks