• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This can't be good...

firedog104

I am not a smart man (cue Forrest Gump Accent) but something tells me that the bits of chewed up coil spring I found when I changed my front diff fluid isn't supposed to be there. From the looks and size of it, it appears to be the spring that might be found on a rubber seal, possibly axle or pinion shaft seal. It's less than an 1/8th of an inch in diameter, with the longest bit recovered only about an inch long. I don't think a spring this small would be from any of the internal working parts of the diff, but I profess I haven't looked at the parts breakdown diagrams.

I know, "this thread is worthless without pics" so I will post some in a few days.

Any thoughts?

Rmtaunton

I agree seal pullers or screwdrivers often pop them out , just keep checking for leaks to be on the safe side.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to check how the axle seals are doing just drop one bolt out of the bottom of the knuckle. There are four of them that hold the bushing in place for the king pin. As said just take one out on both sides and if oil comes out then your axle seal is leaking and should be replaced.
Also after fording you can drop one bolt and drain the water out if your unlucky.

firedog104

Great thoughts guys, I hadn't thought of a leftover spring from a seal change. My knuckles are nasty greasy, and I need new boots, but I don't recall having seen diff fluid leaking out, and the fluid level before draining was fine. Thanks again, will tear apart the knuckles soon for a boot change and will check them then.