• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This can't be good...

Jake0147

When I parked this a week ago, there was only oil... :? Last tuesday(ish) I put the tarps over it and for grins checked the fluids. Coolant was down. No biggie, I just dumped in a couple of gallons, found a loose clamp, blamed it on that, and planned on a flush with more appropriate coolant in the spring... I guess I'll have until warm weather to decipher what happened.
Strange. I should be dissapointed, yet I'm kind of looking forward to tinkering and finding out what this engine is all about. That's just not right. You guys have all called it before, these things are like a rash that won't go away. :D

I'm going to guess a head gasket just because it seems to be the most common internal coolant leak, but I'll bet that there's others. Any guesses?

Attachments

derby

RE: This can

I had a deuce that did that,my problem was a missing head bolt.I would not let it set all winter with anti-freeze in the oil.It will do alot of damage in side.I would drain the oil and the anti-freeze.also pull the battery cables so you don't forget it has no fluids! did you run it after you added the fluid? I would look at the oil cooler,and not try and start it as you may have a cylinder full of coolant.

Jake0147

Yeah, I've got to round up a couple of good sized buckets... For the short term, I figure since it isn't being cranked, let alone started, the anti-freeze should stay at the bottom of the pan and remain "somewhat" inert until I can get at it. The oil level isn't raised up any as of yet, so while I know it has to be getting there eventually, it isn't a lot just yet.
it didn't get started again after I added fluid. I just opened up a plug so it could get by the thermostat, added two gallons, it started pouring out, which satisfied me that there was still enough coolant to burp around the engine while it was being driven home, and left it at that. Very fresh and "concentrated" at the leak. Must be from up high. The cooler would be my first guess on something modern, but I havn't seen any posts on this. (I can't say I've memorized the whole site, but I've read enough to blow my little mind). When I get to the right TM (I'm getting them as fast as my patience with this computer allows) am I going to find special equipment to pressure test this, does it disassemble enough for a visual inspection, or is it an on-engine test? Process of elimination? From the outside looking in, most of it looks easy enough, like perhaps the weight of a couple of items might be the hardest to deal with.

derby

There is one other thing to check that is very easy,check the hose behind the oil filter cans,if there is a leak there it will drip down on the rim of the oil filter base.It is a good thing the oil level has not gone up that would tell me there is a major problem.

sermis

Too green to have gome out with the oil. Pull your dip stick and see if the oil is white. Might be a simple fix.

Jake0147

derby said:
...check the hose behind the oil filter cans,if there is a leak there it will drip down on the rim of the oil filter base...
I just found that in in a TM picture, and was kind of wondering about the proximity, if it could do that. That wouldda been my next question. [thumbzup]

Sermis, you're right it's too green, but I THINK the truck hasn't been run with an active leak- So, thinking out loud,...

Bought the truck, all was good.
Drove the truck to temp. storage, about 15 miles, all was good leaving and still good arriving.
One week later-
Drove the truck home, about seventy miles, all was good leaving and arriving.
Drove the truck about twenty miles in about ten trips, people wanted to see it, take pictures of their kids driving it, etc. All stayed good.
Twelve hours later, drove the truck up back. Regretably no fluid checks made at that time except that the oil drip was the correct size according to past stops, no sign of coolant.
Truck sat two days. At that time, the coolant was down, there was a drip from the lower radiator hose, coolant was filled at that time, like I say, about two gallons worth.
It was filled only at that time, no start ups, no nothing, just filled and the clamps tightened.
Now, approx. five days? I see green. So I am ASSuming that internal or external the leak was not present or present but very minor previously, and the last temperature cycling put it over the edge, therefore I am ASSuming that the oil hasn't been desturbed to cause whiteness/mixing of oil/coolant.
it'd be cool if it was external, I'm still curious about what's inside, but I'd feel a lot better if I could start and move the truck a bit now and then, maybe drive it up and down the front hill a couple of times after the first big snow, just in case the neighbors weren't quite convinced yet that I've lost my mind. :mrgreen:

Jake0147

Thinking further out loud, the filters have to come apart anyway...
Do any of the spin on oil filter conversions go together with no perminant modifications to anything? I know at least one requires cutting the cans somehow... I'm interested but would rather not cut up anything original, at least not at this point.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The head gaskets are fairly easy. Have fun! Just make sure you get the late style gaskets. They are one piece and have permaseal around the oil and coolant passages.

jwaller

mine leaked the same way. turns out it was the coolant pipe thats right behind the oil filters. the hose had a pinhole in it. R&R and it's all better. get some spin on filters from jtonka and fix the oil leaks too.

FreightTrain

Banned

ummm,head gaskets are NOT easy....What are you talking about!!!!Getting those dang manifolds off is a total PITA!!!!!36 years of rust and seizing was not fun trying to break loose!

amanco

And how about the price of anti-freeze lately? About a yeat ago I could pick up a gallon at Wally World for under $4.00. Now it is nearly $8.00 and name brand is $10.00+ Soon you will have to get a home equity loan to flush your cooling system :shock:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

why would you think there is coolant in the oil? your picture shows coolant on the outside of the engine, not inside. just because it is at the base of the filters means nothing other than the coolant pipe behind the filters is probably leaking. common for them to rust out, they are almost 40 years old.

Jake0147

Re: RE: This can

m-35tom said:
why would you think there is coolant in the oil? your picture shows coolant on the outside of the engine, not inside. just because it is at the base of the filters means nothing other than the coolant pipe behind the filters is probably leaking. common for them to rust out, they are almost 40 years old.

I'd think it's coming from where there should be oil because it continues to drip, yet there's zero evidence of it coming around the filter can. If you soak it up with a rag, more coolant actually emerges from that spot.

But I think you guys are right. It's still dripping. If it were internal and slow enough to not be empty yet, it should have easily drained back to the pan just as the oil does, right?. It's cold and dark,, and I just can't see enough of anything, but I'm now suspecting a "leak path" carrying the coolant under the oil residue to the low side of the filter can. Dipstick still isn't indicating a level change. Maybe I won't get to tear in just yet. Well, beyond the oil filters anyhow.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: This can

the oil filter can sits in a groove which will carry the coolant around from the other side. if coolant could come out so easily, imagine what the oil would do under 70 psi. clean around the cans with air before you remove them and with them off you can see the oil cooler inlet tube.

Jake0147

RE: Re: RE: This can

It's going to have to sit to the weekend at least. I just can't get home before dark. From the pictures I've seen it looks like all the dirt and grime would fall straight into a big gaping hole into the bowels of the engine. That'd be bad...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks