• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is an M20, isnt it?

tommys2patrick

Please preserve it. I always thought these were awesome and unique vehicles. Lots of expertise here on SS to help you thru the project. You don't have to take a big bite financially all at once. The restore can be done slowly. Very worthwhile. Best of luck and keep us posted as to what you are up to.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M20 Restoration

Just a few update photos of progress on the M20. I couldn't wait for the finish so built a decent model of the M20 that works good as a motivator. The boys must be playing with the model in the bush around the shop. They've already got the headlight guards busted off. Good thing the real M20 guards are made of steel.

m20 cel 015.jpgm20 cel 005.jpg m20 cel 014.jpgm20 cel 016.jpgm20 cel 017.jpg

The wiring harness is a work of art.

m20 cel 010.jpgm20 cel 011.jpg

Shocks are mounted on the tub with a few other parts and a ton of pieces on the counter ready to go back on.
Almost a grand worth of Master Cylinders sitting on the table so it's a lot easier and cheaper building models.

One more step forward.

m20 cel 009.jpgm20 cel 008.jpgm20 cel 004.jpg

mooresM35A2

Nice to see this thread got fired back up lol. This M20 ended up belonging to the Armed Forces Museum out of Greenville IL and that is where it sits now. Hopefully in the next coming months when work slows down ill be able to volunteer there. Im really looking forward to it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M20 Go Pedal

m1010 those are some awesome pictures by the way.
Thank you, I'm glad you're still tracking the M20 thread motivator. Making time to hang around any museum has always been a great adventure for me so lets hope you get the chance and can grab more pictures. Then we'll pretend I didn't step on your thread. lol.

Finding time to spend with the owner of this M20 has also been rare. I did have a chance to help assemble the Get up and Go Pedal so I grabbed a few pics. It's a neat design where the throttle return spring sits on the hinge pin for the pedal.

P2231455.jpg

Not much completed because of the planned Canadian invasion of Florida over the winter but both should be done soon,.... real soon.

P2231457.jpg P2231458.jpg P2231460.jpg P2231456.jpg

One piece at a time.

P2231459.jpgP2231461.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you keeping the throttle hydraulic?
I'm just the part time help but we were working on that today and the grey gurus insisted they'd keep the throttle original. They mentioned that it was common to replace it with linkage,...... I know I heard a chuckle. We wrestled with a couple of the thumb size cylinders trying to remove them from the housing and there is one polished cylinder sitting on the table. Others were soaking in the magic atf mix so he'll never say never.

This is my first day with the M20 throttle and I'm quickly learning they're quirky. What else can you tell me?

TacticalTruck

It's been more than twenty years since I've built one but I tied to save the original throttle without success. I used a boat throttle cable. I've come a long way since then, may be I'd have better luck today. Everything else on them is straight forward and simple. They ride so much better than half-tracks.

PaFarmer

One sold in Ohio this summer for around $25,000. The tub had been blasted and it looked to have the fenders, but the pics I saw had no drivetrain or radiator. There was one sold at the Littlefield auction for $80,000. Parts are expensive. I have a friend with a nice M20 and another working on an M8 in Big Red One, BROLHO. They are so cool, I would love to get one.

dgrev

I'm just the part time help but we were working on that today and the grey gurus insisted they'd keep the throttle original. They mentioned that it was common to replace it with linkage,...... I know I heard a chuckle. We wrestled with a couple of the thumb size cylinders trying to remove them from the housing and there is one polished cylinder sitting on the table. Others were soaking in the magic atf mix so he'll never say never.

This is my first day with the M20 throttle and I'm quickly learning they're quirky. What else can you tell me?
I rebuilt the hydraulic throttle on my Greyhound in roughly 1991 when I got it, then had to bleed it around 2001. Haven't
touched it since other than to top off the brake fluid in it.
Why does everyone make this into such a nightmare?
Replace the shaft seals on both pedal cylinder and slave with decent modern double lip seals and problem solved.

Regards
Doug

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M20 rider policy

The M20 team is getting closer to dropping the heartbeat into its home so a quick couple of update photos. It should be ready for a test stand run early next month and we're really hoping to be part of it to grab a video. Helped in the placement of some tiny conduit to run a wire up to the heat-riser on the top of the manifold. It looks just like the one in the book!

20170419_133553.jpg20170419_133538.jpg20170419_133636.jpg

Brake lines, vacuum lines, new fuel tank, conduit and electrical nearly all in place and waiting for power.

20170419_133721.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Heart Beat of America

Took that moment to visit the Greyhound and it's one more leap forward.

P5180022.jpg P5180023.jpg P4220326.jpg P5180013.jpg P5180014.jpg

The engine mount bolts offer up a bit of a mystery with a 5/8 hole and a 9/16" shouldered bolt that came out of it. Looks like the same bolt in the book and we're not seeing a sleeve for the motor mount, the second engine has the same size hole for the mount and they're not oval so the boys are still looking into this. Doesn't seem right that the bolt is smaller than the hole but hey, it's a Ford.

P5180019.jpgP5180018.jpgP5180016.jpgP5180020.jpg

Here is the new and fully functional throttle assembly. The seal for the inside of this is made of difficultoobtainium so they created one. I'm told it works on the same principal as a brake pedal. You push on the throttle pedal, fluid flows to this cylinder assembly, pushes that lever which mechanically operates the carb. interesting set-up.

P5180009.jpgP5180011.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks