• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is starting to weird me out (starter)

appalacious

I got this truck running months ago. Replaced the batteries, bled the fuel lines to the cylinders, converted to 12 V (yeah, I know- NOW) etc, etc. She ran for awhile, but I still had so much other stuff to fix that I didn't drive it all that much. But when I did, she ran fine.

Now, today...I replaced the W/W fuse, now they work. And I replaced the headlight switch, now they work. I get in to crank it up to go and buy more stuff I need and "click". I already took out the starter relay, since I'm running 12V. It sounded like the click was the solenoid.

So I check both batteries. They're fine. So I get under the truck and "bridge the gap" between the solenoid posts. Sparks are flying everywhere, but I do it a couple of times and think I hear the starter turn a little bit, even though it didn't engage. I decide to try it one more time (at the drivers seat) and then take a break. Well, she cranks right up.

So, whats goin on? Do I have a bad starter? I just bought one of those cheap gear reduction starters off ebay. I kept the old one (which was from a junkyard- non gear reduction) just in case, but I'd really like to get my moneys worth out of this one. Do i need to take it in?

Thanks guys.

J

Broncoman

From the sound of it having that much fire when you cross the terminals than I would say it's a bad connection or the starter is not up to par.

Jinx

Just guessing here, but are you sure the engine is well grounded? I had a 1989 Chevy Caprice that had a poorly grounded engine. This would cause no start conditions that were similar to a very low battery. It clicked, but wouldn't turn over, and it did this randomly. Placing a ground strap from the engine to the frame eliminated the problem and the car worked fine after that.

I could be wrong though, since you said it sparked a lot when you crossed the solonoid connection. That would imply a proper ground. On the other hand, you said it started just fine after that. I would recommend checking for rust and making sure the engine is properly grounded anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it a lifetime guarantee starter? I've found that most "Lifetime Guarantee" starters guarantee you just that, a lifetime of replacing them!