• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This is why you check your halfshaft bolts.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My take from the video:

Beadlocks can save you a lot of extra work

Halfshaft bolts need checked regularly (the locking halfshaft bolt kit would have paid for itself by not needing towed out)

Why didn't they have the transfer case in the locked position?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree why did they just not drive it out of there, if you can tow it you can drive it
Never heard "locking bolt kit", I would not be surprised if someone else was taking advantage HMMWV owners.
Nord-Lock washers and new bolts are all that is needed, if you have ever busted a bolt loose with properly applied Nord-Lock washer on it you would understand.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree why did they just not drive it out of there, if you can tow it you can drive it
Never heard "locking bolt kit", I would not be surprised if someone else was taking advantage HMMWV owners.
Nord-Lock washers and new bolts are all that is needed, if you have ever busted a bolt loose with properly applied Nord-Lock washer on it you would understand.
The locking half shaft bolt kit is in the same category as the spindle nut lock kit. Not actually necessary, and expensive, but nice peace of mind.

I've done nord locks, and you're right, they do clamp securely.
Did them on all 4 shafts not long after I got my truck.
Then I had to do halfshaft boots
Then I had to do a brake caliper mounting bracket, on multiple brakes (used nord locks on the caliper mounting brackets while I was in there)
Then I had to do something else brake related.

New bolts and nord locks start adding up over time, as nord locks are single use, and the bolts are technically being over torqued for metric grade 10.9 (torqued to the 12.9 specs)

After the first time I had to remove the bolts, I installed the blue hummer locking half shaft bolt kit. Grade 12.9 bolts, so not over tightening them to get to the proper torque in the manual.

they used to be $50 per kit when I bought them a couple years back, but now up to $66 per kit, and needing 4 kits, it's getting harder to justify the price, but here is a link

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought I've had about the video.
This company is taking people out into the middle of the desert in rough terrain, and isn't bothering to properly check the drive train components before going out.
Looks like they might just be buying surplus trucks, adding a sun shade and seats in the bed, swapping out for civilian wheels/tires, and calling it good.

A little bit of PMCS would have prevented this.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The locking half shaft bolt kit is in the same category as the spindle nut lock kit. Not actually necessary, and expensive, but nice peace of mind.

I've done nord locks, and you're right, they do clamp securely.
Did them on all 4 shafts not long after I got my truck.
Then I had to do halfshaft boots
Then I had to do a brake caliper mounting bracket, on multiple brakes (used nord locks on the caliper mounting brackets while I was in there)
Then I had to do something else brake related.

New bolts and nord locks start adding up over time, as nord locks are single use, and the bolts are technically being over torqued for metric grade 10.9 (torqued to the 12.9 specs)

After the first time I had to remove the bolts, I installed the blue hummer locking half shaft bolt kit. Grade 12.9 bolts, so not over tightening them to get to the proper torque in the manual.

they used to be $50 per kit when I bought them a couple years back, but now up to $66 per kit, and needing 4 kits, it's getting harder to justify the price, but here is a link

Actually I did see those, lost in the old man fog, sorry
My initial reaction was a few years down the road and a little corrosion and those might be tough to remove.
I buy the bolts and washers in bulk so they are not too expensive, but yes when I was shredding boots before I figured out they were not happy at three digit speeds I went through quite a few, not a big issue with most HMMWV owners.

GTUnit

So what is the reason for this shearing issue? Bolts coming loose and joint clanking around on them till they shear?
Threadlocker is not sufficient? Locking bolts are required?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends how you drive it I say.. Standard equipment has done fine with me... I replaced my half shaft bolts with 10.9's just for shits and giggles... I don't offroad much, so really isn't a factor as I do regular maintenance on most items annually. I only drive it 5-600 miles a year though. Your mileage may vary.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume most failures are due to improper installation, the factory used thread locker and standard lock washers.
adding the Nord Lock washers just give an extra measure of security.
Now once you have had a failure the flange and half shaft probably need to be replaced as at that point they are likely damaged

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks