• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This Is Why You Need to Use the Correct Glow Plugs with Pic

CCATLETT1984

Attached it a pic of the Glow Plug that has been stuck in my truck since before i bought it. Someone put a standard GP in and as you can see it both drooped and swelled at the tip. I was able to remove it with a extractor set that i got off of ebay. The set contains a few shims and a nut that is hinged, you thread the gp out of the head as far as you can. Then you put the split nut on it and put in the shims to take up the distance. you turn it out as far as you can, then repeat after adding more shims. It came out nice and steady, you must be carefull to make slow and steady movements so you can feel if the GP is moving still or twisting (as you really dont want to have to pull the head off to get a broken tip).

Here is a link to the tool i used: OTC 6005 Diesel Glow Plug Extractor
http://shortlinks.net/zip721

here is another tool that i found, might be easier to use:
http://jjandaracing.com/en-us/dept_9.html

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

RE: This Is Why You Need to Use the Correct Glow Plugs with

I think I'm going to buy one of the later kinds off of eBay BEFORE I do my glowplugs. With my luck half or more will be frozen in place.

BKinzey

Just looked at the extractor and had an idea. Cheap too :D

Get a piece of the threaded hollow tube used in lamps, about 4" in length, and a nut & flat washer that fits it and a set of allen wrenches.

Cut a slot, or channel, all the way down the side to within about 3/8" to 1/2" of the other end of the pipe. The slot should be just wider than one of the nut flats on a glow plug.

Thread the nut and washer on one end of the tube. Now slide the whole thing over the glow plug with the nut closest to the engine block.

Arrange it so the flat on the glow plug fits in the slot. Select an appropriate allen wrench that will fit between the glow plug flat and the inside of the tube.

The idea is the allen wrench flats will fill the void so as to keep the opposite side of the glow plug flat in the cut channel. As you back off the nut the washer will come in contact with the flat of the glow plug in the slot and back out the glow plug.

A little fabbing skill sure but lots cheaper than either of those tools!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks