• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This looks bad

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the worm gear pulled forward, the busted part is the brake band housing, this event can happen IF the drum lock is left engaged while trying to operate the winch
:ditto:

This is what happened. you can tell by the deformed end plate that the damage wasn't caused by something external. The plate has been shaped to the shape of the end of the shaft.

The A3 hyd winches don't have a shear pin but the hyd relief valve is supposed to limit the torque to the winch. If everything is setup right this should never happen.

ODdave

Looks like the worm gear pulled forward, the busted part is the brake band housing, this event can happen IF the drum lock is left engaged while trying to operate the winch

It would have to have been in reverse and under a **** of a load for it to happen like that. I doubt the motor is capable of enough power to do that.

The cover is not flat originaly, it has a detent for the shaft end.

Upon looking at it further, I definatly think the hook grabed it.

Also the worm gear shaft cannot move back and fourth without breaking the housing where the 4 bolts hold the brake housing on. Oil would leak.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would have to have been in reverse and under a **** of a load for it to happen like that. I doubt the motor is capable of enough power to do that.

The cover is not flat originaly, it has a detent for the shaft end.

Upon looking at it further, I definatly think the hook grabed it.

Also the worm gear shaft cannot move back and fourth without breaking the housing where the 4 bolts hold the brake housing on. Oil would leak.
You know, after looking at the pics again, you may be right. It kind of looks like something could have very well grabbed it from the bottom.

First thing I'd do is pull the cover off and see what the inside looks like. If the damage is all contained in the brake housing, this can be a real easy fix.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a shame it happen and hope your seller will help. I myself allways open up the band brakes and clean them out and backoff the band as far as I can. You realy don't need them if you will never use an A frame or lower/raise something down a hill. I would take off the cover and I don't think you have to remove the bumper. Clean it out with air and loosen as much as possible like I said before. As for the hole in the case I might just beat the cover to as best a fit you can then ruffen up the housing around the hole and cover and use two part epoxy and some fiberglass matt. Paint and forget.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would try the compromise approach with the seller....see if they will go 50/50 with you on repair or provide the parts and you do the labor.

If the seller sells a lot of trucks I'm sure they want repeat business and don't need any adverse publicity.

Lothar

Thanks wreckerman. I have sent an email that, I think, respectfully expresses my disappointment. I hope to her from him tomorrow. If there is no compromise offered, I will be exploring other avenues.

Lothar

*Update* Maybe I can turn this thread in the direction of fixing this winch problem with or without seller's help. I greatly appreciate all who have given advice and hope to learn more. I was able to remove the cover without taking the bumper off. It looks like there is no damage other than the cracked case, bent cover, and some rust. It appears that the cover indeed is shaped with that dimple and it was not caused by catastrophic failure. Peering inside the filler hole/vent, there is a channel that obstructs the view into the drive. There is some oil visible, which I am pleased to find. So, the troubleshooting continues in a different direction. I am now leaning towards a possible hydro pump or control problem. The pay in/out switch in the cab operates correctly, as the valve up front can be seen to go up and down when the switch is thrown. So maybe the activation switch in the cab, OR perhaps I am so lucky that the hydraulic filter is so clogged that no fluid can pass through it. Next, I will be trying to find a replacement filter and hoping for more insightful help from you all. (incidentally, I loosed the band a full turn in accordance with advice given)

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....... Peering inside the filler hole/vent, there is a channel that obstructs the view into the drive. There is some oil visible, which I am pleased to find. So, the troubleshooting continues in a different direction...
Your pic #4 doesn't appear to me to be the oil filler hole... more likely the oil level hole; or was it even the oil drain plug you removed? :???:
I can see not a "channnel" but the end of the wormshaft in there; certainly dirty and rusty. According to that, at least both ball bearings probably need to be replaced; if nothing else....

G.

joshs1ofakindxj

Ok, now that I see this is a hydraulic winch on an A3 I know you're not talking about the air filter indicator being in the red. haha

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your pic #4 doesn't appear to me to be the oil filler hole... more likely the oil level hole; or was it even the oil drain plug you removed? :???:
I can see not a "channnel" but the end of the wormshaft in there; certainly dirty and rusty. According to that, at least both ball bearings probably need to be replaced; if nothing else....

G.
I'm with G. There is no "channel" in the housing. Nothing in there but the worm gear and the bull gear. Looks like you're in for a complete tear down.

Lothar

That's Dually, my dog, he loves the back of trucks. He will jump in yours if you don't stop him. And that makes better sense that I am looking at the worm gear. It is the top hole, so I assumed it was the filler. The other side looks to be bone dry. I will start breaking it down and show what I find. If nothing else, I will be able to learn the ins and outs of the winch and will be able to help others with theirs in the future.