• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

This thing won't warm up!

progun

I have used my truck in my back 40 for a week now. Put 35 miles on it. The only way to get it above about 130 degrees was to suck a seat cushion to the grill to get it to temp. I thought the thermostat was stuck so I bought one. If you need a replacement from an auto parts store, I got mine from Oreilly Auto Parts and it is a Murray brand P/n 3478, btw. So, I replaced it and it still only gets to about 140. I'd like it to run at 180 so what's up? Thanks

Tlauden

My deuce is like that, just puttin around in a field out back or idling it refuses to make it to operating temps. BUT when I hit the road it will get to operating temps in a normal (or what I believe is normal) amount of time.

Take yours for a spin on the road and see what happens...

progun

That is true. I have never gotten it up in RPMs on the road but it is a small engine and the thermostat should hold the water back till the engine heats up.

Keith_J

I suppose you have a heater. These bypass the thermostat and can keep the engine cool when not going very fast.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what vehicle is this? A M151? A Deuce? A Yugo?

It always helps to give us more information AND to put the thread in the correct forum.

rickf

Get a Stant 13078 thermostat. It is a 180 degree stat and you have a much better chance of getting an American made part, at least a brand name part. I have had nothing but bad luck with these fast food type parts stores. Let it idle with the heater off until the thermostat opens, you will see it on the gauge. That will tell you it is working. If it still runs cold then what was mentioned about the heater cooling it off is most likely the problem. Turn the heater blower off and see if the temp comes up.

Rick

cobra5

Have you looked at your temp gauge? Even though it indication 140 degrees, the engine could be at op temp. The quickest way to check is to get it running up to its 140 degree temp, as indicated on the gauge, than use a temp gun and take readings at the engine block, radiator, and bottom radiator hose to see what you get. You can get an inexpensive temp gun at Harbor Freight if you don't already have one.

progun

Yes, I have done that. My guage appears to be calibrated. I took it on a 15 mile drive at 50 plus MPH last night and it never warmed up fully. Granted, it was pretty cold out but that should have no bearing on engine temp if the thermostsat is doing its job.

cobra5

When you block the radiator it warms up to the 180 degrees. When you remove the cushion, does it fall back down to 140 degrees? If so, you have a thermostat issue. I agree with Rick and would use the Stant brand thermostat. There are only two things it could be, the temp gauge or thermostat. You said the gauge checked out good so the next logical step would be the thermostat. Also, whenever I change a thermostat on my vehicles, I always change the radiator cap.

progun

I did change the thermostat. It works as tested as did the original. This is why I am baffled. Makes no sense. Yes, when I remove the seat cushion it drops down immediately to 140.

stampy

Cardboard works well as a "emergency" cold weather cover for your radiator just make sure you leave a small cutout so your engine doesn't overheat

Keith_J

I dont have a heater. I bypassed it and removed it. It is an M151.
Exactly HOW did you bypass it? Length of hose? If so, it is possible this is bypassing the thermostat. Put a clamp on that hose and see if that helps.

From the symptoms, the heat is leaving via the radiator as it should. It is the thermostat which isn't functioning correctly. Many incorrectly think a thermostat is a Boolean device, either open or closed. In actuality, it is a proportional device and restricts flow based on temperature. Most are quite narrow in temperature range between start of opening and fully opened.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should not have needed to "bypass" the heater. Usually that are installed with valves on the coolant lines. You should have just needed to shut off the valves and removed the hoses.

progun

Yes, my valves were leaking so I capped them off. I find it odd that two thermostats that test normal in boiling water have the same symptoms. Hence my boggledness.

progun

I will change it out and see. It's gotta be this but I just found it so odd that the original one and the new one do the same thing. Thanks for the info.

rickf

I am not at my parts list, can't they cross yours over to a Stant? Make sure it is a 180. I will check my list a little later and get you some more numbers. Or you can go to the g838.org site and look at the wiki. There is a cross reference list in there for civie parts.