• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THM-400 : The MOST RIDICULOUS Filter Attachment Ever?

MuddWeiser

Just bought a 1985 CUCV M1009.

My THM400 tranny seems to just hang/wind out WAY TO LONG in 2nd gear???
I figured it may have been under severe service and a fluid/filter change in order.

When I swapped my tranny fluid/filter I noticed THE MOST RIDICULOUS FILTER SECURING TECHNIQUE EVER. My tranny filter was held on by what looks to be a bolt witha sleeved spacer up top (above the filter). The spacer keeps the filter from slapping the bottom of the tranny housing BUT doesn't tighten down all the way with the bolt, so there is about 1/4" of play for this sleeved spacer to slide up and down with the tranny filter - IS THAT NORMAL?

Thanks for any input?

ida34

It is normal. The filter is loose so it will sit down on the bottom of the pan. If you look the intake for the filter is on the top so the lower it sits in the pan the better. It is kind funky but that is the way it is supposed to be. Also, put you location in your signature. It is one of the few requirements of the forum. Welcome and enjoy your truck.

Chuck

MuddWeiser

But what was weird is that before I put the pan and fluid back on - but after I tightened the bolt down, I was able to wiggle the filter 1/4" in both up and down directions - i just simulated some "road bumps" and it seems to me that it wiggles enough for the pickup tube to get DISCONNECTED FROM THE FILTER!!!

The only thing I could think of is that once the fluid gets added - it becomes so viscous around the filter that the filter is held in place by the fluid - therefore it won't wiggle enough to get disconnected from the pickup tube?

SOMEONE EASE MY FEARS! I have no reason to doubt you and believe that this in fact is the way it comes from the factory - it just didn't seem right to me!

Thanks!

mangus580

Its not a problem. Thats the standard design on every Auto tranny I have serviced :)

As to your shifting problem, check all your vacuum lines, and make sure they are connected right. Also check the kickdown switch, and make sure its not stuck in 'kickdown' mode.

ida34

You could always take some self tapping screws and screw it down better but I think your transmission performance would degrade. Seriously, TH400's have been in service since the late 60's. I have worked on them since the 80's. I am not an expert but a knowledgeable layman. The pickup tube will not separate. Everything is fine. Thinks good thoughts.

Blake

tranny

Just went through this with my blazer. Put a new modulator on it and no modulator adjustment helped it. Checked the vacuum pump and it was putting out good vacuum. Adjusted the "throttle position sensor" on the side of the injection pump (has 2 vacuum lines coming off of it) and has slotted screws. Perfect! Mine shifts perfect now.

MATT

Yes the trans/throttle postion sensor can advance or retard the shifting patterns. I had this type of prob. You will need a vacuum gauge to correctly adjust it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks