• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Those pesky dust boot wires!?

byrdman1312

Does anyone have any ideas on a easier way to tighten the wires on the inside of the dust boots, where they won't leak. I've replaced dozens, maybe hundreds of these, every now and again I'll get a "leaker". That boot that just will not stop leaking. As anyone who has replaced one can attest, they are aggravating even when they work well.

What brought me to this message, I was watching a video of a guy putting locking wires on jet engine bolts. He was twisting the wires very tightly and said they would harden after they were twisted. Is there a wire, like this, that can be twisted very tightly without breaking? I have some twisting plyers that are used for those applications.

Thanks my friends! I'm retired now and are trying to get back into MV repair, I've got lots of projects.

Guyfang

Staff member
When I worked on turbines, we had a stainless wire, in different sizes, that was very hard to break. I might still have several rolls and will see if I can find some tech info.

byrdman1312

Thanks for the replies! I'll try those suggestions. On the same note, has anyone tried, or had experience with cornhead grease? One of my grandsons is a diesel and farm equipment mechanic, I'm going to ask him about this as well. The way I understand this grease, it is like normal grease at room temp. When it heats up it liquefies, returning to semi-solid state when cooled. My concern with the mule drop axle application is that it may not lube all the small bearings like gear oil would. Thanks in advance!
Keith

reallybigboat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Keith

I have some experience with cornhead grease. It is today's recommended lubricant for the universal joint area in early 1930's Ford cars. On those cars, the driveshaft and U-joints are enclosed in a housing. I was able to locate cornhead grease at my local John Deere dealership in their showroom on the rack with many other types of grease. Comes in a cartridge that fits modern grease guns, although I did not run through my grease gun. I agree with your thought above; it might not lube everywhere, but it does seem to get to a semi-liquid state. My $.02 worth is I would just stick with the 90-weight gear oil as called for in the LO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks