• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on Paint For a Barn Jeep

What to do with barn find M-38

• Return the jeep the the as found AF Blue

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Return the jeep to the manufacturers OD

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys (and gals), My good friend has gotten around to returning his "barn find" M-38 jeep to working order. This jeep is all original, it came from Dobbins AFB in Marietta, Ga. Still has the hood numbers, and contract status on the doors. It is NOT marked USAF. It has the original metal top, problematic as it is. There are ONLY 2 coats of paint on this jeep. The original manufacturers OD and a single coat of AF Blue.

The question is:

1. Return it to the AF Blue color and mark it as it was when it left service (only one owner in between service and the current owner).

OR

2. Back to the as manufactured OD and .....

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Was it originally a green USAF Jeep which later got painted strata blue or was it an Army/USMC Jeep which got transferred sent to the USAF?

BillF

I would like pictures of the jeep. Are you sure it is great under the blue? I have been working on finding proof that at least of few m38's left the factory blue. I would like to know the hood number dod and serial number as well.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Current paint is in poor condition, I will try and get hood numbers and pictures. We know it left the factory green. The only evidence we have is that behind the glove box the firewall is still green. Otherwise it is ALL blue. Not sure about the transfered to USAF from another branch. It was AF, then given to the CAP, but never delivered, it was traded to Roswell FD for storage fees on the undelivered jeeps. Roswell FD Chief confiscated it as his personal transportation. He lost interest parked it, and my frient talked him out of it years ago. The only thing that he changed on it was to put civie mud grips on for tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks