• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on tandem m1082's?

st8drumz

Looked around on the forum for folks doing mods to try tandem trailers and didn't really find what I was looking for so I'll throw this latest brainchild out there for suggestion and scrutiny.

Welcome to coffee talk

Topic of discussion -

What are any thoughts you would like to share on putting a military pintle hook on the back of an lmtv m1082 (with proper superstructure/frame reinforcement), extend electrical and air hookups and towed by a deuce and a half? For air use considerations, what about adding an extra air tank, keeping in mind that the compressor would still have the same output/replenish rate? I understand that the deuce has a 10000 lb (?) towing cap. and the trailers alone are 7200 lbs. ea. Also, what about DOT regs on tandem trailers? Would that necessitate a CDL?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Duals depends on where you live and what the legal total length is. Michigan I am not sure if a CDL would be required in a non profit situation since the doubles/trips doesn't always apply for CMV. TN you can haul Doubles without a CDL as long as you are not hauling for profit and do not exceed 77 total feet. It will depend on the state laws on db/trip. You wont be able to back up is all i can tell you. not to mention a deuce with one 1082 is slow not to mention two. They pull well though. but yeah backing up wouldnt be fun.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked around on the forum for folks doing mods to try tandem trailers and didn't really find what I was looking for so I'll throw this latest brainchild out there for suggestion and scrutiny.

Welcome to coffee talk

Topic of discussion -

What are any thoughts you would like to share on putting a military pintle hook on the back of an lmtv m1082 (with proper superstructure/frame reinforcement), extend electrical and air hookups and towed by a deuce and a half? For air use considerations, what about adding an extra air tank, keeping in mind that the compressor would still have the same output/replenish rate? I understand that the deuce has a 10000 lb (?) towing cap. and the trailers alone are 7200 lbs. ea. Also, what about DOT regs on tandem trailers? Would that necessitate a CDL?

Your not going to pull doubles with with bumper pull hitches , the lead trailer needs to be a 5th wheel ( this includes RV's ) You will need a RV double endorsement to pull a trailer behind a 5th wheel travel trailer.
Whether or not you need a CDL or not depends on your intended use , if you haul anything that is not yours and accept any kind of compensation even fuel money or lunch you are considered commercial and need a cdl with a doubles endorsement ( requires road even if you already have a cdl) , dot numbers ect..
If you intend to haul anything your still going to need GVW plates , historic and farm plates have very limited use restrictions here in michigan.

Last edited: