• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thoughts on this M1028A2

Haoleb

I am in the market for getting a truck to replace my TJ Wrangler and I have been looking for months on my local CL for something that will be reliable, diesel engine, ideally a stick shift... I'd really like a 12v dodge but all of those around here are beat to heck. I have been looking at these CUCV's like the M1008 and yesterday this 1028A2 pops up that looks interesting. I don't do any towing or heavy hauling but having that big bed would be nice for getting loads of dirt, gravel or pallets of wood pellets etc..

Here's where I need some advice. I really don't know what the value of this truck is? The owner is asking $10,000 for it. It has new tires all around which I know is about 1800 investment. To me this truck looks like about $8k truck but what do you guys think? The bed is the first time I saw one with that custom looking bed on there. It is a couple of hours from me so not really an easy trip to see it in person.

60k miles, Says previous owner rebuilt it and it has no issues. looks pretty rust free which in my part of the woods is hard to find for anything. At the asking price I cannot afford to put money into it for upgrades. He says it gets 9mpg which seems pretty low. I know this thing would be terribly slow and loud... But hopefully reliable? Do people have any luck running WMO mix in this engine? My daily commute is about 9 miles each way with a top speed of 45-50 I'd like to improve the mileage if possible.

Any comments? Worth taking the trip to look at or is he asking too much $$ for this vehicle?

Attachments

richingalveston

The price is not to far out of line. It looks stock and to be in good condition. with the new rubber I would put it at 9k at least.

The truck will be slow, 55 to 60. He is getting 9mpg because he is trying to run 70. at the 45 mph zone you should get close to 20mpg

It should be reliable and also easy and cheep to fix. you can fix anything on that truck yourself with the knowledge that is on this site.

for your commute and purpose this is a good truck to consider as long as you can live without AC. To add AC you will spend some $

2deuce

I would add that when something is modified like the new bed, the potential value goes down, because the market usually shrinks. If it had the original dually bed, I would be more agreeable on the 9k estimate, but if that bed is in line for your use, then it becomes a good value for you. It is just that the pool of buyers will be smaller(my estimation)when the time comes for you to sell and it may take longer to find another buyer like yourself.

Haoleb

Thank you, I appreciate your input. I was not sure if the bed was some special option or just a DIY mod. Personally I like the look since originally I wanted an M923 5 ton but this is a little more practical and useable... Albeit at a higher initial cost. I definitely have some thinking to do on this truck. On one hand 10k asking price seems crazy for a 1987 truck that can barely go on the highway and lacks even basic comforts. But then on the other hand 10k for a diesel truck with low miles and no rust and new rubber all around seems like a fair deal.... Hmm..

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would add that when something is modified like the new bed, the potential value goes down, because the market usually shrinks. If it had the original dually bed, I would be more agreeable on the 9k estimate, but if that bed is in line for your use, then it becomes a good value for you. It is just that the pool of buyers will be smaller(my estimation)when the time comes for you to sell and it may take longer to find another buyer like yourself.
Seems like a nice truck., except for that bed.
Not my style at all.
If purchased for a good price the bed would be the very first thing to go.

For that asking price I wouldn't even look twice at it.
The original bed will do more than that silly one.

richingalveston

i like the bed, i would rather have that than the stock bed. no fenders to get nocked off. It looks like a bed from a military trailer.
I think you could get more work out of that bed than stock.

It does drop the resale value some for a collector but for someone looking for a work truck, it might add some value

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck or one like it has popped up in the past. The bed is a deuce bed heavily modded. I like it from the front and side but not the back. I agree that its worth more with an original bed but if that one works, go for it. Can always make an offer, the market isn't flooded with $10,000 CUCV buyers.

DanM7890

Doesn't hurt to throw out what you think it's worth. Could always sell the bed, but don't be surprised if trying to find a clean dually bed takes a while.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a Deuce bed, cut down and modified to fit that truck. The tailgate is also a cut-down Deuce gate...notice the 5 hinges.

It looks like it was done very well. The bed is now useful for working that truck, find toolboxes to fill the gaps between the bed & rear wheels/frame, and you've got a TON of useful storage space without cluttering the bed. It is also heavier so is more resistant to dings/dents. As Richingalveston pointed out, there aren't any flimsy sheet metal pieces to get torn off/knocked around. You could also modify some Deuce or M105 troop seats to put in, and also (with some modifications) you could have a cover on the bed as well (maybe cut down a Deuce cargo cover).

Looks like a pretty clean, well-looked-after truck. Check the frame around the steering box to make sure that there are no cracks in it.

Haoleb

Thanks again for the input. After looking at a deuce bed I can certainly see now that is exactly what it is. I agree it looks a little odd from the rear and looks quite high up but I kind of dig the utility look of it. I emailed the seller asking how flexible he is on the price. I am still thinking a good price is closer to $8k for the rig. There are other regular 1008's for sale around here that are in much poorer shape for a pretty penny but they have also not sold. I shall await the sellers reply...

Haoleb

Well after some back and fourth with the seller he has agreed to come down to $9000 on the truck which is a little more than I would like to pay but still I suppose is fair if it is everything it shows in the photos and has no issues.

I am planning on taking the trip to see it this week.. cash in hand... Anything specific I should look out for besides cracks in the frame near the steering box? It seems mostly stock from what I can see in the photos except the manual glow plug switch... and of course the bed. Seller says the dash was replaced before he bought it so it should be in good condition.

Here is the sellers full description: 1987 Chevy For your consideration is a Chevy built Army CUCV 1028A2 1 1/4 ton (1 of 500) with dually conversion. Power plant consist of 6.2 liter (379 c.i.) diesel mated to a TH400 automatic/NP205 cast iron gear driven transfer case with optional PTO capability. Axles consist of Dana 70/14 bolt 456:1 ratio with front and rear lockers. Truck rides on 7 near new tires with less than 300 miles on them since truck rarely leaves our property. Brought this truck back from Louisiana while stationed there so it has not been exposed to the salt like other trucks in this area. No tire kickers or trades

Anything to look out for when driving it? Were lockers front and rear stock? Should I notice the tires chirping around turns if the locker is working?

Haoleb

So took the drive up yesterday to check the truck out. Ended up bringing her home! Truck was in better condition than I expected for a 30 year old vehicle. Bigger than it looks in the photos too. Seller was a great guy obviously took care of the truck. Drove it back home taking secondary roads to avoid the turnpike where people do 75+. It was a long.. loud.. and sometimes bumpy 3.5 hour drive but no issues with the truck. I got home and noticed some of the lights on the dash don't work so i need to look into getting those going again. I might look into getting a tachometer put on it as well as oil pressure and temperature since i really like to know what is going on before an idiot light comes on.

Truck already has manual glow plugs and the previous owner did the starter relay mod. Overall a really cool truck!

Drock

So took the drive up yesterday to check the truck out. Ended up bringing her home! Truck was in better condition than I expected for a 30 year old vehicle. Bigger than it looks in the photos too. Seller was a great guy obviously took care of the truck. Drove it back home taking secondary roads to avoid the turnpike where people do 75+. It was a long.. loud.. and sometimes bumpy 3.5 hour drive but no issues with the truck. I got home and noticed some of the lights on the dash don't work so i need to look into getting those going again. I might look into getting a tachometer put on it as well as oil pressure and temperature since i really like to know what is going on before an idiot light comes on.

Truck already has manual glow plugs and the previous owner did the starter relay mod. Overall a really cool truck!
Yeah it takes a rugged dude to own and drive one of these trucks, at least that's what I tell my wife. I would check the brake pads, and make sure the calipers can slide first and foremost. And add a temp gauge next.

rustystud

If it runs as good as it looks I think it would be worth the money. If you don't like the box I'm sure you could get a dually box for a decent price.
Don't count on finding a dually box in good shape ! The fenders are unique to the military . At least that is what I was told when I went to GM to get a replacement for mine. I ended up fixing mine with a lot of fiberglass. My buddy has a civilian one and the body lines in the fender are different. Don't know why, but there you are.

rustystud

I would absolutely add a Transmission Temperature gauge to it ! After my little fiasco towing with mine .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what you mean about the ride. I just drove one of mine 750 miles (again) yesterday. Congrats.