• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thread deleted. Why & how to find a moderator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

undysworld

I recently posted about an old Dodge p/u I found on ebay, but it got deleted. A pm notice said I should direct questions to a moderator. I'm not even sure how to find one.

I posted about the truck, because it was listed on ebay rather obscurely. I thought guys who liked those trucks might not even have seen it. I've checked the rules, and I'm just not sure why this got deleted, or if maybe it should have been put in a different forum??

If someone needs to find a moderator, how do they do this?

Thanks for your help and patience, I'm not too computer capable.

Paul

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You posted this.

found on ebay

I'm not sure if this post belongs here or not. Please advise.

I was looking through ebay, and found this - not listed under milvehs.

Link XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I don't know much about these, so I'm just tossing it out for others. I noticed the pic showed Search & Rescue on it.

The rules asking not to post ebay adds was inadvertently removed during the last rule update.

I kinda figured deletion of your thread might have been self explanatory, it was removed, therefore it is not allowed.

Your wording in the post was Exactly the reason it was deleted. YOU stated you didn't want it , but someone else may. This kind of statement upsets anyone that did find the item(through their own diligence) and more often than not, turned the tread into an argument(or at least starts hard feelings.

I think one of the rules that needs to be added to the site list is, if it isn't your item, don't promote it.

If you had simply copied and posted a pic or two of the truck and mentioned you could pass on contact info, if anyone was interested, that would have been acceptable(but still just a can of worms, most likely)

Last edited:

undysworld

Doghead,

Thanks for the clarification. No wonder I didn't find any reference to this in the rules!

I kinda took offense to the thread being removed without explanation, but that's apparently how it's done here. Unfortunately, it smacks of the same sort of treatment we milveh owners got from our DOT here -
it was removed, therefore it is not allowed.
- no explanation, just an action.

I understand that when someone finds a mislabeled ebay auction, the item may sell for a lower price. But since it was not listed under "Military Vehicles", I assumed that many SS members might not see it at all, diligence or not! I thought I would be helping this community out by mentioning it. Apparently this kind of help is not wanted. Okay. I sure as heck didn't do it to chap someone's hiney.

If this is prohibited behavior, or if you guys want to institute new rules, please have the courtesy to post those new rules. If, on the other hand, we're not breaking the posted rules, then I don't think it's fair to enforce rules which have been previously deleted. It gets confusing. You guys run this show, not me.

I think that in the future, I'll just keep my mouth shut and let others worry about themselves.

Regards,
Paul

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For about 2 years now, I been asking Mangus to update and correct the rules(only he or Chris can do that).

As you can see by Gimpy's post, he knew the rule and he informed you of it about 15 minutes after you posted this thread.(that's what I call helpful!)

This is only about the second time, someone has posted an ebay ad and I deleted it without an explanation.

If I had more time last night, I probably would have included an explanation.

Last edited:

AaronHorrocks

YOU stated you didn't want it , but someone else may. This kind of statement upsets anyone that did find the item(through their own diligence) and more often than not, turned the tread into an argument(or at least starts hard feelings.

I think one of the rules that needs to be added to the site list is, if it isn't your item, don't promote it.

If you had simply copied and posted a pic or two of the truck and mentioned you could pass on contact info, if anyone was interested, that would have been acceptable(but still just a can of worms, most likely)

This doesn't make a lick of sense. There's lots of "could"s "would"s and maybes in your reasoning here. While over on the G503, they even created an "auction" section. First off, it keeps posts about ebay, craigslist, and the like in thier own section. Secondly, it gives an opportuntity for people to discuss the things they find. Third, and probably most importantly, it gives a place to post something that they find, military vehicle related, to share that information on the spot. As opposed to depending on PMs or emails that could take days to respond to, when the auction itself only lasts a matter of days total.

Rather than preventing the sharing of auction information, Steel Soldiers could create a section for posting and discussing them, and further enhance the community. :idea:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doghead,

Thanks for the clarification. No wonder I didn't find any reference to this in the rules!

I kinda took offense to the thread being removed without explanation, but that's apparently how it's done here. Unfortunately, it smacks of the same sort of treatment we milveh owners got from our DOT here - - no explanation, just an action.
Dont take it personal even though it does indeed seem that way (bee there). I remember posting a thread about an old abandond/rustic russian military vehicle website...which got removed due to "potential security risk" and the link was reposted by another member a few hours later with no action taken. Just take it in stride.. :confused:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
being a moderator is a thankless job which I for one would not want. And being here for the short time i've been hear there have been many posts deleted by various mods. and as he has done here Doghead has always been fair and explained the reason as he has done here and why it wasn't explained in the PM. THe moderators are doing this for the betterment of the site and to keep S.S. the great military vehicel site it is. So thanks to doghead and all the other mods. for doing a job most people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole[thumbzup]

Last edited:

undysworld

Well, I wasn't trying to give Doghead a hard time. Just asking the question, and responding to his answers.

FWIW, Gimpy should know the rules better than most, he's got over 9100 posts listed.

I was of the opinion, like Aaron was, that I was doing others here a favor. That listing seemed unlikely to be seen by most folks. Unless I hear differently, I will not attempt to do this sort of favor here again. I certainly didn't do it to inconvenience others, and I absolutely have no interest in the vehicle myself.

The deletion didn't seem self-explanatory because it didn't appear to be prohibited, so I wondered if I was supposed to have posted it on another section of the forum.

If SS chooses to ban that sort of post, then that's their right to do so. However, if that choice of rules is not posted anywhere, then I think I was in the right to post it. If someone decides to enforce the rules as they see fit, I can't blame them, so long as they are in the moderator's chair. But given the circumstances, I think that I deserved at least an explanation with the notification of the deletion.

In this instance, apology accepted, Doghead. I assume no offense was intended, so none is taken. You are doing a thankless job, and I recognize that. So, "thanks" for putting up with us all.

Paul

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Undy, the problem here is SO MANY NEWBS join the site daily and only a few mods enforce the rules(even when they get deleted) the best they can. The bigger problem is the ownership of the site hasn't a care in the world about the site, or they would realize the mods are asking for power to do more(but don't give it to them). There is only 2 people that can edit the rules and they have treated the site like Rosa Parks, BACK OF THE BUS!

undysworld

Well, Gimp, I'm truly not trying to give anyone a hard time.

It's just discouraging when a guy posts something only to have it get tossed off, and especially w/o an explanation given. It's a disincentive to offer one's input. In the notice, I was advised to contact a "moderator", but Doghead isn't listed as a moderator, so I had no idea who to contact in order to get any answer to my question "why". Actually, I was unable to find any listing of "moderators" anywhere, but that could easily be my lack of performance.

It isn't as if I'm a newb, I'm going on 3 years here now. I was actively involved in the DOT fight here in Wis., and posted extensively on that subject.

I think that I have an idea of the difficulty faced by a moderator. This site has a lot of posts every day.

I'm going to make this my last post on this, because I figure those guys have other things to do than read this. But I'll say again, GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES (ie. the "rule" was not in the written rules), I think an explanation was in order at the time of that deletion.

Doghead apologized to me for that. Hopefully we've both learned something. Case closed.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Undy, the problem here is SO MANY NEWBS join the site daily and only a few mods enforce the rules(even when they get deleted) the best they can. The bigger problem is the ownership of the site hasn't a care in the world about the site, or they would realize the mods are asking for power to do more(but don't give it to them). There is only 2 people that can edit the rules and they have treated the site like Rosa Parks, BACK OF THE BUS!
Before everybody starts a big dogpile on Chris (Steelsoldiers) take two seconds and understand that he has more than a full time job and family just like the rest of us. In addition to that they have been in the process of moving recently so yeah the amount of time he can devote to the site daily isn't what it was 6 months ago. Chris always looks at his PMs and if you have a concern, contact him.

Times are tough right now guys and I can't fault anyone for prioritizing taking care of their family and keeping a roof over their heads. And before anyone asks - yes I am Chris's Brother but I have no connection to the operation of this site.
Chad

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The bigger problem is the ownership of the site hasn't a care in the world about the site, or they would realize the mods are asking for power to do more(but don't give it to them). There is only 2 people that can edit the rules and they have treated the site like Rosa Parks, BACK OF THE BUS!
Sorry Chris, but you're wrong. Mike and I do have a care in the world about the site. As a matter of fact we have invested over a grand in new hardware and software for SS in an effort to improve site performance in the last few weeks. Just because you don't see us logged in on the site every day doesn't mean we aren't doing anything behind the scenes.

Is the site my number one priority? Nope, not even number two or three. For the last two years I have been commuting 2.5-4 hours a day, sold my private practice, worked my butt off to pay two mortgages since we got caught in the housing crisis, moved my family back to WV to be closer to grandparents, helped raise my toddler son, and for the last 6 months have been planning for a new multi-specialty eye care practice that is set to open in January all the while working in two different offices in order to pay the bills. I haven't had much going on though and really should check my priority list. Guess I'm a slacker. :cookoo:

Undysworld, I apologize for the confusion. I added the no eBay rule last year or the year before last and did not realize that the rules had reverted to a previous rendition. I will edit them right now to reflect the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks