• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Threatened fail on state inspection no cats

minimalist

Took my M1009 to get inspected today. Guy comes back in and tells me it won't pass cause it doesn't have cats as well as the passenger high beam isn't coming on. I went out with him and smacked the headlight solving that problem. Then I went round and round with him over the cats. After a few minutes of this he decides to let it "pass". Granted I could have shown him the sticker under the hood exempting it but I forgot about it until after I left. This is a non emission county in Texas. I thought 25 year old stuff was exempt period. I can buy any foreign made vehicle 25 years or older and bring it in and it's exempt. Geeez.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it was his first diesel vehicle inspection?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he was looking for a DPF , your vehicle is short by a FEW YEARS , If he was looking for Catalytic converters he should probably go back to MICKY D's and flip a few burgers !

minimalist

What county was that? I'm due an inspection in Houston and not looking forward to the hassle of the kids doing the emissions testing...
Wise county. You're in a emissions county but that won't matter with the cucv. Let them try to hook it up to OBDII. Emission is coming to our county at some point since we are adjacent to Tarrant. I dread that day if I can't find a decent merc 300d or sd.

Hasdrubal

Ah, the dreaded emissions testing, what a waste of time and money. Here it must be done every year on older vehicles or you cant renew your insurance. On diesels they only test for opacity. This time I got a fail reading, they ran it again which is SOP on a diesel and it passed with a much lower number. This means the results are totally arbitrary and the test is completely useless. Asked the guy if they ever failed a Chevy diesel, he said no. What would I change if it did fail, injectors or worse another motor?

Skinny

That kid needs to learn the laws or go back to school...

Pretty simple, even someone with zero product knowledge would be able to look at the emissions decal to see what it needs or if it's exempt. Find a new shop! I inspected the M1031 last week and the guy said they have to do emissions inspecting. Not OBDII, he will have to read the flashing MIL lamp...I snickered :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm ticked because I have 5 cats. None of them are on any of my trucks. This is one time I'm glad I don't live in Texas. In Ohio they did away with the EPA smog emissions testing to renew your registration. A smart state move for a change. Every time I took a vehicle in they didn't say anything about my cats though.

trooper632

Same thing happened to my son, Idiot wouldn't pass the M1009 because of Cats, Luckily I was on duty and drove over in my Black and White to enlighten the Inspector on Texas Emission Laws. Slapped the new sticker on and left.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm ticked because I have 5 cats. None of them are on any of my trucks. This is one time I'm glad I don't live in Texas. In Ohio they did away with the EPA smog emissions testing to renew your registration. A smart state move for a change. Every time I took a vehicle in they didn't say anything about my cats though.
Same in Kentucky, no requirement to checks for cats, if there was , they would find 3 in the house and a stray my wife feeds on the porch. They play he** on the chipmunk population.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my cats has recently become diabetic.

I wonder if they would have noticed the excessive urea if I had had him smog checked?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got sick of playing this game (scam) where I live. First you fight the places that don't even know the laws, and second you fight county "laws" that could damage my truck (anti-idling laws - sorry, but I just got off the interstate, it's even on the dash, idle for 5 minutes...), opacity 'snap' tests that just do not work with my motor and turbo and "policies" that could result in the over-revving of my motor.

Fortunately I was able register it as a "Vintage" (which means no emissions or safety- hallelujah)..

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I let my wife take my Camaro to get inspected a few years back and the guy at the inspection station had her afraid to drive it back home because it had "bad' brakes. He tried to high pressure her into letting him do a brake job, too bad for him she called me. After I threatened to crawl up his six with my steel toed boots he admitted he had folded the papers and stapled them so you couldn't see it passed.

When I got home I called Troop C headquarters and reported him. By the end of the week he was no longer ripping women off ,out of business.

This guy would have gotten the same treatment.