• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Three phase / Single phase

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Haven't installed a residential generator in 25+ years, but we always recommended using a line conditioning transformer for computer circuits. Maybe today's generators are better (cleaner power)? Any thoughts on this?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an MEP003A genset. We haven't had any issues with computer equipment, televisions, etc. and we don't have any line conditioning equipment installed. Except for the noise of the generator, we can't tell if we are on utility power or the generator.

Scoobyshep

Haven't installed a residential generator in 25+ years, but we always recommended using a line conditioning transformer for computer circuits. Maybe today's generators are better (cleaner power)? Any thoughts on this?
Line conditioning is more important when the generator head has brushes. That and back then computers used to be dirty loads with fickle power requirements. These days they are fairly forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1800 Diesel

I recently bought an 803a for my home and I am impressed with it. I live in south FL where hurricanes are just a matter of time. So I wanted to squire one for my business, problem is an 803 is not enough for my business. So I was going to use two 804 in parallel wire for single phase.
I would recommend an MEP-005A, rewired for single phase. Then you'll have 120/240 volt and using what I've been getting out of MEP-004As after single phase conversions, you should get something between 33 & 35 KW continuous. Also, I believe the MEP-005A is a little easier to troubleshoot and repair. I can't argue about its fuel efficiency being better than an MEP-805A, but you won't spend near as much money on the original purchase cost and it won't be operated 24/7, so the fuel delta will be insignificant in the long run.

If noise is an issue, then get an MEP-005AAS version--much nicer for the HOA type neighbors..... ;)

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still prefer the older MEP003A gensets. They are dependable. Also, they are air cooled, which means no maintenance of the cooling system. They are also relatively fuel efficient when compared to the larger gensets. They are also large enough to handle the entire load of a typical home without having to pick and choose circuits.

1800 Diesel

I still prefer the older MEP003A gensets. They are dependable. Also, they are air cooled, which means no maintenance of the cooling system. They are also relatively fuel efficient when compared to the larger gensets. They are also large enough to handle the entire load of a typical home without having to pick and choose circuits.
I'm with you on the MEP-003A--have operated the same unit for over 20 years and through many hurricanes down here and it's never failed. However, I'm assuming if an 803 wasn't enough output for his business, then the 003 wouldn't be either. It seems he's figured out the business load to be something more than 15KW but less than 30 KW. That's why I suggested the MEP-005A unit. He'll have to figure out what works best for his situation. We can only offer advice... :)

America

I recently bought an 803a for my home and I am impressed with it. I live in south FL where hurricanes are just a matter of time. So I wanted to squire one for my business, problem is an 803 is not enough for my business. So I was going to use two 804 in parallel wire for single phase.
What exactly are you using the generator for? We have to know. Then we can answer this question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks