• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

three prong female cannon plug for an MRE heater

Tanner

Guess I have been a bit sloppy with the spec, however the 97 series inserts fit the MS series "A" shells and will mate with the environmentally sealed connectors, if I'm not mistaken.
Bjorn -

No, you're good on the insert fitting in the shell - this is all from the MIL-DTL-5015 (MIL-C-5015) family, and they are intermountable & intermatable, but the 97 series doesn't offer any enviromental protection - Series 97 is a basic industrial use cheaper version of military version, but w/o the 'bells & whistles' = cheaper price, but lower performance spec as well.

They'll intermate, but MS side is weather protected, and 97 side isn't. But, knowing the closet MCGuyver's on this forum, some will try to see if RTV is their friend on the connector - and find that it isn't!

Tanner

Tanner

Lance - I'm no expert on connectors, but have been doing this for about 6 years now -

Look at http://www.peigenesis.com/pdfs/amphcsg/amphcsg41.pdf - this will show you how to order the connector under an MS prefix p/n:

In the case of the 3-position MRE heater plug, you could use MS3106E16-10S, or an MS3106F16-10S - the difference being in the 'E' or 'F' style strain relief. This could be ordered under Cannon or Amphenol.

You could also look at having the supplier quote it under the Amphenol AIT Industrial connector number - this will allow you to order it with crimp or solder contacts, based on how you create the p/n: http://www.peigenesis.com/pdfs/amphcsg/amphcsg22-23.pdf as an option.

AIT6E16-10SS - would give you a threaded barrel straight plug (like MS3106), with a 16-10 insert, solder socket contacts, and an E-style strain relief clamp. What is your cable diameter on the plug side? PEI doesn't currently have this p/n configuration sku'd up in their system, but can usually get it setup in about 24 hours or so.

Another option is to order an AIT version (commercial/industrial callout) as AIT6-16-10SS, then order the 'A-style' standard extender endbell and an MS3057-C environmental strain relief clamp separately. The extender endbell simply gives you more working room on the back of the connector; a long extender option is available as well under the 'L' callout.

The 'MS version' will usually be more expensive than the 'civilian equivalent' in a commercial/industrial 'AIT version'...

Back to the connector series basics:
- 97-series from Amphenol; this series uses only solder contacts, but does not have environmental sealing apabilities.
- AIT series from Amphenol; this series offers option of solder or crimp contacts, and has environmental sealing capabilities.
- MS series from Amphenol or Cannon; crimp contacts, environmental sealing capabilities.

And PEI-Genesis will sell you quantity one on the connector, but will hit you with a min order price of $50-$75, IIRC.
Others may have a min $ order, or a min qty order...

'Tanner'

Last edited:

fal_shooter

Anybody got a "get her done" answer to this connector issue? I don't need to learn to fish - I just want the fish;)

This is all too confusing for me but I want to get one of these connectors so I can build a cable for one of these ration heaters. If anyone is going to place an order for these connectors PM me and let me know how much it will cost to include an extra one on your order. We might be able to save a few bucks if we order more than one at a time. I know I will spend more for the power cable than it cost for the ration heater but I am still going to do it. I think I am also going to look at changing the plug on the ration heater to a more standard type. That could be cheaper than building the cable but I will need to see the unit before I decide to get into that.

Last edited:

Tanner

If you decide to change the original connector and use a different connector, look for a contact rating per pin of at least 23 amps max... this is what the 12ga. contacts in the 3-contact connector were tested to.

Tanner

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody got a "get her done" answer to this connector issue? I don't need to learn to fish - I just want the fish;)

This is all too confusing for me but I want to get one of these connectors so I can build a cable for one of these ration heaters...
If the part number was ever confirmed as stated earlier in this thread, try this:
CONN PLUG 3POS W/SOCKET SOLDER - MS3106A-16-10S

Tanner

Bjorn -

If you order the connector under the p/n MS3106A-16-10S that you reference above from Digi Key, you'll receive a connector & standard "A-style" end bell, but will not get a cable clamp on the rear. You'll have to order a cable clamp separately. See left photo for MS3106A-16-10S (has 3 pieces)

This is why I recommended the p/n MS3106F-16-10S earlier... this way, you get the individual wire sealing grommet, ferrule, and cable strain-relief clamp with saddle clamps on the back of the connector... see right photo for MS3106F-16-10S.

'Tanner'

Attachments

Tanner

The MS p/n as shown above - MS3106F-16-10S - would come in OD Cad Green. The picture on Digikey's website appears Black... the newer nomenclature on the part should read 'JAN MS3106F-16-10S' - the US added the JAN prefix in an attempt to stop the offshore clones -

Tanner

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks