Threw a Torque Rod today

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put me on the list. Anybody do a retention method? Bolt/washer?

View attachment 687693View attachment 687694
What were you doing when that happened?

I've seen here on SS guys take a large, heavy gauge flat washer and just weld it in the center.
Looks pretty good when painted.

Also have seen a large Grade 8 bolt welded across to prevent rod from popping off rubber.
Worked fine, doesn't look very good IMO.

I think I will do the washer method or just fab something out of plate steel.

74M35A2

Its ok. Swamp, jeff and I all agree that you were probably as scared as a little kid who just broke his mom favorite thing

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Yep. That's exactly how it went.

The bone tossed going over the peak of a sand hill. It was the lower right of the rear most axle. 3" ratchet straps were able to pull it back into location, but I could not get the arm back on. So I used a 3" ratchet strap in each the forward and rear direction to hold the axle there, and it held fine, including leaving the off road park and the hour drive home.

Seems like the newer ball joint type are double the cost of the stock replacement ends. Strongest solution may be to buy 12 new stock ends, and drill and tap them for a large bolt and washer before installation. Then they are new, and have the retention washer on them.

I'm really trying to understand why stock did not use the ball joint type. The stock one can not rotate, it just puts torsional force on the rubber. Why would they want it this way? Seperation is bound to happen then. For this reason, is why I am still partially considering the ball joint type.

This really is one of the only weak links of these trucks. I don't haul much weight, but I do off road it and don't want to be scared to go over something, so it is getting improved one way or another as to not happen again.

therooster2001

Yup. Sucks when it happens, and you get super nervous even with new ones back on for a little bit. I still listen for the wheels rubbing when the axle twisted on mine. Yuck. Then I got extra LEO attention while I was on the side of the road. I have yet to install / weld the washers, and need to.

I still have a bag of cad cotter pins if you need some or can point you where I got some.

Csm Davis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, tough crowd! Ive been dreading this scenario, how did you throw yours? Gimpyrob also had some cool drilled and tapped ends on his deuce at Haspin, sounds like the same as Tom has. This is another thing on my to do list, that probably wont happen until it "HAPPENS"...
Yeah last one I threw was on a wrecker pulling a wheelie while pulling a wrecker up a hill diagonally, I think my response was well crap.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Got a question. Can anybody tell me what size wrench I will nee to take the nut off of the dog bone?
2- 1/4". If you can find the Axle socket that size it helps on the trunion side to get it off rather than slowly using a wrench. If you have a torch just use that to get the nut off. sometimes the whole insert is froze up and will just spin or flex. Smack the center of that bracket with a sledge and it will pop out.

Last edited:

74M35A2

So the wife, kids, and I, were putting our fresh cut Christmas tree up this past weekend. We're at the part where we are setting up the Lionel train underneath, and there is something wrong with the motor in the locomotive. I pick the engine up, flip it over, and I'm looking at the wheels, spinning them by hand. My 10 year old daughter leans in to look, and says "Are the dog bones bad on it?". RUFS? A classic...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks