• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thrill Ride

Thrill Ride

My new to me M35A2 just arrived and in need to deal with dead batteries. It jump starts but won't start on its own. Is there any way to salvage these expensive batteries? They don't hold a charge.

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Mine sat dead for six months in my m818 and I tried charging them and they are currently holding 13.5 volts, I used the 2 amp trickle charge to let them slowly build a charge back up. They each took a day and a half to come all the way back up to full power. Do I expect them to last forever? No but for short term use they will work to get all the little bugs worked out of my five ton and I can change them out for fresh ones down the road.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check each individual cell with a voltmeter (IE, take the caps off, put the neg probe on the neg terminal and the pos probe into the solution on the closest open hole. You should see about half a volt. then switch the probes, with the neg in the first solution and the pos in the next one. If you get zero volts between any two cells, it's shorted out and dead - must be replaced. See diagram below for the sequence).

N-1 - 4 - 5
__2 - 3 - 6 - P

DeucesWild11

I got a battery DeSulfurizer at Northern tools. They are a charger/desulfurizer. I got two 12v so I can use them on my cars too, haven't tried them yet but people who have said they brought dead batteries back to life..

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mine sat dead for six months in my m818 and I tried charging them and they are currently holding 13.5 volts, I used the 2 amp trickle charge to let them slowly build a charge back up. They each took a day and a half to come all the way back up to full power. Do I expect them to last forever? No but for short term use they will work to get all the little bugs worked out of my five ton and I can change them out for fresh ones down the road.
:ditto:2amp , it will either work or it won't. I use an auto rate charger it turns it self when charged. It may bring them back up voltage wise but still need to be checked with a load tester.2cents

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Battery Minders will work, IF the battery is at 10.5 volts or better when it starts, otherwise it will run for months (and if the green light does not come on when you hook it up - before A/C power, it's below 10.5 volts) before you see anything. Then you will have to let it float charge/desulfate for three or four additional months before you use it in a vehicle. Batteries that are in better shape take less time. I own four Battery Minders and have some experience using them. I'm in charge of the club's battery locker, where we have three heavy duty (wheeled) battery chargers and five Battery Minders to keep the ones in the locker on float till they are needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks