• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Throttle return spring broke!

jaymcb

I was out with the kids giving the old girl a run today...

When I came to a stop light and went to stop, the throttle stuck wide open. Made for kind of a hairy stop, but neutral and sticking my foot under the pedal saved the motor from running against the redline. I nursed it to the side of the road, popped the hood, and saw that the end of the throttle return spring snapped off. It doesn't matter that my motor has 1200 miles on it; it matters that is ~20 years old

Drove home (short ride) very carefully, ready to hit neutral or fuels shutoff if necessary . 3 bucks later for a matching spring at the auto parts store, and it's all set. Bought a spare, it's now in the deucebox.

Just a reminder to all my deuce driving brothers that you might want to peak at that spring......pucker factor was high for that stop :)

phil2968

Mine broke on interstate on the way back from the Ga Rally last year. A pair of pliers and a hole in my finger and we were back on the road. The spring broke 2 more times on me before I got a loop bent in it! It is a handy cheap part to have stowed away!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's bikini shopping in Fla, I swear!:oops:

Darwin T

:shock: first, tell me the bikini is for someone else.

second, thats doghead for the intel on the double springs. i will be getting some for all three of my deuces and a spare just in case of and "O S Moment".

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine broke about 40 miles out of town. A bungee underneath and another on the pedal got me home. Yeah, spare spring is way better.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is where gimpy chimes in. That guy has a warehouse of parts:p

He doesn't have a single warehouse. He has stuff stashed a friend's houses all over the country.

He already has a bikini and I'm going to die a horrible death for posting it. Here he is. (I'm sooo bad.)

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an infraction.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not MV related-

About 12 years ago, I was coming home from work at about 11pm in my '68 383 4speed Road Runner (daily driver-with 3.91's).

Come up to a traffic light, kick the clutch in, engine revs, I tap the pedal thinking it's sticking and it gets worse! Grab the key, shut the engine off. Got out, popped hood, see the end of the spring broke off.

So here I am, didn't have a cell phone, it's 11pm. I walked about a mile to a Kroger, hoping to find something that would work for the remainder of the ride.

Looked and looked and the only kind of spring material whatsoever was on a mount to hang a decorative plate. Bought it and a cheap pair of pliers. Made it work.

Thought on the way home: "Man, I am living up to the Mopar stereotype"

rofl

91W350

My 68 broke in the GL lot. Tapped it to make sure it was returning freely, it was. Fired the truck up and the rpms just steadily climbed. Drove it home towing my 71 with a bungee cord to the seat frame. Felt kind of silly...

jaymcb

There's a good reason Federal Safety standards call for 2 springs on modern vehicles.

Maybe a set of throttle springs from a different vehicle, would be a good upgrade to consider for all of us.

Like this, Summit Racing SUM-G1320 - Summit Racing® Dual Carburetor Return Springs - Overview - SummitRacing.com

or Dorman 59209, Dorman Products - 59209
Thanks doghead!

BTW, the Dorman 'check your fit' doesn't have an application for a 19?? M109a4 :shock:

What a totally inadequate database of fitment. :)

Hyenine

The same thing happened to me when mine broke. I robbed the parking brake return spring to substitute the throttle spring until I could get back to civilization. I used shoestring to keep the pads off of the brake in order to get back.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thinking!

Masada 5.56

My throttle return spring broke on me a couple of hours ago. I was on I-10 climbing a hill trying to pass a garbage truck that was believe it or not going slower than me (and I'm pulling an M105A2 with an S250 shelter and a bunch of crap in it.)

Felt the spring snap, didn't know what it was at the time but I knew that my gas pedal went down and didn't come back up! Luckily not much traffic around, found a place to pull over, got out and checked out underneath. Ended up trying some cord to the pedal and using that to pull the pedal up when I needed off the gas.

Drove a ways a rest stop up ahead and looked through my mountain of TM's until I found the right one and saw that the throttle return spring was the likely culprit. Crawled back underneath and sure enough, it was missing. Felt around the area near where it goes and actually found the broken spring. Tried to bend out the broken end of the spring into a hook to get me by until I got a new one but it just broke off.

So here I sit in a McDonalds, using the free wifi and eating some chicken mcnuggets. There's an Auto Zone next door so I'm headed over there next to see if they have a spring that will work. If not I'll probably go with the bungie method a couple guys mentioned. That sounds better than having to hold onto a cord, pulling the cord, holding the steering wheel and shifting at the same time.

Oh and my driver side windshield wiper airhose was cracked and started leaking air so for a short while there I had one hand holding the hose closed (yes it was raining), cord for the gas pedal in the other hand and steering with my arms. There was no traffic around but it was not a confidence inspiring position to be in so I pulled over and fixed the air hose, so then I could drive somewhat normally.

Good times!!

adamax

Mine broke on my way home from buying it.This was my first time driving a deuce talk about pucker factor 10. luckily i was close to home and just nursed it the rest of the way. needless to say mine has 2 on it now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks