• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thumper in the morning

Akicita

Lately, when I drive the Deuce out, the ride is really bumpy. I let her idle until she is warmed up, and I drive slowly - usually in reverse until I'm on the road. It almost feels like some of the tires are not round when I drive on the road. After a half a mile or so, the ride becomes much, much smoother.

The truck is used once or twice a week on average. So, it never sits for long and the tires don't have time to develop flat spots.

I don't use the parking brake at home. I chock the wheels instead.

Tire pressure is OK - although one tire loses air faster than the others.

When I have stopped someplace for a while and then continue after an hour or more, the truck runs fine. The thumping only occurs when I first start out.

Any ideas what causes the truck to behave like Thumper before it turns normal again ?

whyme

could be they have always been a little out of round and the cold weather makes the tire more ridged so you feel it more. once you get moving the tire warms up a bit and feel it less so. also it could be that your developing flat spots or uneven wear.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's typical of the cold bias ply NDT tires.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very common. Don't see it so much with car radial tires but truck tires tend to get a flat spot from sitting. Once the tire warms up, the flat spot goes away and everything should be fine.

srodocker

yea. my truck does the same exact thing. i've been told its the ndts they sit and it gets cold and with all the deuce weight on them they stay that way until there warmed up

flyxpl

Soft compound tires on my Vette would do that after sitting only a few days . Gets flat spots while sitting . After about 5 miles of intersate it would go away . I have also noticed on the deuce the shaking in the frontend at higher speeds will go away after tires warm up .

dragonwagon

Kind of shows us how long its been since bias ply tires were common . They all did that even on a small car .

I have a GMC jimmy on 36 " bias , man it takes 5 miles or more to get them rounded out .

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL

Sometimes when the M880 on 36" Humvee tires has been sittin' especially when cold out,
It'll knock your teeth loose while bouncing right off the road (slight exageration).
Nothing like a old cold bias ply, lol.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks