• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thumping / popping while driving...

LeadHead

The other day my camo love-machine started to get a little salty on me. Started doing this whole thumping deal when I go over, like...5 mph. The faster I go, the more it thumps. I cant really tell where it's coming from. But I can feel it in the floorboards and it seems like it's somewhere up front or under me. I was running some Super Swamper Thornbirds. So I put on some old Wranglers and it still does it! Axle shafts have a little play...but the hubs are unlocked, so should that matter? I cant figure it out.

Is it time for me to break down and take it to a mechanic for the first time?

The truck is a 1985 M1009. 10 bolt axles and lock-out hubs.

cucv1833

The other day my camo love-machine started to get a little salty on me. Started doing this whole thumping deal when I go over, like...5 mph. The faster I go, the more it thumps. I cant really tell where it's coming from. But I can feel it in the floorboards and it seems like it's somewhere up front or under me. I was running some Super Swamper Thornbirds. So I put on some old Wranglers and it still does it! Axle shafts have a little play...but the hubs are unlocked, so should that matter? I cant figure it out.

Is it time for me to break down and take it to a mechanic for the first time?

The truck is a 1985 M1009. 10 bolt axles and lock-out hubs.

Sounds like U-Joints

wayne pick

Or trans mounts, an easy fix, no mechanic needed. Take a pinch bar and jam it between the trans adapter and crossmember and push up, or pull down whatever is easyer, If the trans moves it's the mounts. DIY, save some $$$.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks