• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thunder Over Michigan Aug. 9-10, 2014 - Ypsilanti, MI

kscheel

Hello, hello!

This year's dates for the Thunder Over Michigan Air Show and Battle Reenactment will be August 9-10, 2014. The theme will be WWII Army Air Force. The battles will all be WWII ETO. You can check out the airshow website at the following link... http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

You can also check out the show's facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/ThunderOverM...ref=ts&fref=ts

Setup will begin Thursday, August 7 at 1:00pm. Again, setting up Thursday is not mandatory, just an option for those that would like an additional day to hang out, set up displays, etc.

We've got a new change to the encampment/display area. We had a great turnout for the Vietnam theme last year and we would like to keep that going. Vietnam/Cold War era vehicles and reenactors of the same era will have their own section in the encampment area. The vehicles, displays, and reenactors all together really looked awesome last year. I can't wait to see it all again!

For those of you unfamiliar with the show, Thunder Over Michigan is an annual airshow put on by the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, Michigan. It incorporates a spectacular array of WWII-Present aircraft and also a series of large battle reenactments. The reenacting portion, in addition to the battles, includes an encampment for period displays, military vehicles, etc.

The event is free of charge for reenactors and military vehicle owners/crew. There is camping on site in the encampment area during the event. Any tents used should military and period correct. If not, they will have to be stowed and out of sight during show hours. Lunch will be provided for registered participants on Saturday and Sunday.

For those of you interested in participating with the Friday evening convoy and parade take note of the following times: 5:00pm convoy form-up, 5:30pm convoy departs Willow Run, 6:30 parade begins in Belleville, 7:45pm depart Belleville.

Please feel free to pass along this information to anyone who may be interested in attending or participating in Thunder Over Michigan 2014.

kscheel

A photo-op with the Huey last year. We will have 2 Hueys this year so another photo-op could be set up.

Attachments

Last edited:

kscheel

Some pics from the the Friday convoy last year. We're always looking to make it bigger. If you've got an MV and want to participate you are more than welcome!

Attachments

Gryphos

Heads Up!!!

This great show is coming up fast!

Something for everyone: vintage war birds, Blue Angels, MV's, W WII Battle Reenactments...

I'll be there with one of the Mowag Roland APC's. We'll be driving in the parade Friday afternoon as well.

Look for a Gryphos kit .50 Browning Machine Gun with theatrical blank-firing conversion in the WW2 battles.

Hoping to see many of you there!

Christos

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi, I'm working in Saline and staying in Milan till October was wondering if any of you guys have any projects you need a hand with? My vehicles are in Georgia and i miss them. Also would like to know if anyone would have an empty seat in the parade for a passenger? would be more than happy to kick in some fuel money?

Thanks Mike

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I'm working in Saline and staying in Milan till October was wondering if any of you guys have any projects you need a hand with? My vehicles are in Georgia and i miss them. Also would like to know if anyone would have an empty seat in the parade for a passenger? would be more than happy to kick in some fuel money?

Thanks Mike
Microjeep is a good man, one of the most helpful gentlemen at the GA Rally last year. I would take him up on his offer and you will not regret having him join you guys.

kscheel

Thanks Mike
Mike, I'm sure you'll have no problem finding a ride for the convoy and parade.

paradeduty

Hey there Mike!

Mary and I are planning on being at the TOM Show and Parade. If you still need a rig to jump in just let us know. Still working out a stubborn hydraulic bug on the LVS, so we will be bringing either the PLS or the HET.

Gryphos

Microjeep is a good man, one of the most helpful gentlemen at the GA Rally last year. I would take him up on his offer and you will not regret having him join you guys.
Mike, you are also welcome to a seat in the Mowag Roland APC. If, by some miracle, I fix the ignition problem in time, you are welcome to choose the Alvis Spartan Tracked APC as well. I hope to be having both in the parade.

Christos

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the offers guys, I'm willing to help with any pre-trip work needed this Sunday just PM me? Also is there somewhere to get more info on the battle reenactments and vehicle displays? I know the airshow will be topnotch excitement and i would like to meet as many SS members and vehicle owners as time permits.

Thanks again Mike

paradeduty

My hydraulic/diesel mechanic (great guy) is coming out this afternoon to check to see if we have a bad valve or cylinder on the LVS outrigger extension boom. Have to check it with some pressure gauges to see where the blow by is possibly happening. So she may be back in business by next weekend! From the sounds of it, there looks to be some really cool vehicles again this year.

paradeduty

Think you will make it tomorrow, Derrick.

We are planning on being there for the parade.

LVS won't be ready - am still waiting on new pistons for the outrigger extension cylinder rams (apparently the rebuilders installed undersized pistons).

Dave

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys hate i missed the festivities, One of my employees had a grinding disc explode and go through his cheek, to the point of stitches on the inside of his mouth. so i was busy making sure that was taken care of. will be in town till end of Sep if you guys are getting together for any reason please let me know would love to meet you guys

also will be hanging around tomorrow and Monday with nothing to do if any of you guys need any help with a project please contact me

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks