• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thunder Over Michigan, August 10-11, 2013

kscheel

Hello Everyone!

The date for Thunder Over Michigan is August 10-11, 2013! The theme will be Vietnam. This years show is looking as though it will be as spectacular as ever. You can check out the airshow website at the following link... http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

You can also check out the show's facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/ThunderOverMichigan?ref=ts&fref=ts

For those of you unfamiliar with the show, Thunder Over Michigan is an annual airshow put on by the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, Michigan. It incorporates a spectacular array of WWII-Present aircraft and also a series of large battle reenactments. The reenacting portion, in addition to the battles, includes an encampment for period displays, military vehicles, etc.

The event is free of charge for reenactors and military vehicle owners/crew. There will be camping on site in the encampment area during the event. Lunch will be provided for registered participants on Saturday and Sunday.

**More to Come Soon**

Please feel free to pass along this information to anyone who may be interested in attending or participating in Thunder Over Michigan 2013.

Kyle Scheel

Last edited:

kscheel

We had a great MV turnout last year and I know I can thank many from this forum for that. All of us at the show really appreciate it. Being that the theme is Vietnam and that 2013 is an important anniversary in Vietnam history I hope we can get a great turnout of Vietnam period vehicles.

Also we plan to do a promotion do give Vietnam vets a discounted ticket price and a tented viewing area on the flight line. I'm sure these veterans would love to get reacquainted with some of the vehicles they spent so much time with.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a good chance I'll be back in MI during this show. I'll have to see if I can work it out. It'd be great to meet some of the MI SS'ers.

I've been to a few of these over the years, the last one for me was in 2006. Seems they've grown quite bit and the YAM is thriving.

kscheel

Picked the same date as an existing annual Michigan Air Show.
Seems counter productive.....................
That is unfortunate but unintentional. Our date this year was selected because it fit the schedule of the Thunderbirds, the U.S. Air Force jet demo team.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understandable, The Wings Over Gaylord Show doesn't have the attendance numbers required to get the Thunderbirds.
Although the Michigan MVPA is already committed to participating and co-ordinating Historic Military Vehicles for the Gaylord show. The Yankee B-25 and/or B-17 will be missed in Gaylord this year.

Duece

Been there for several years, first time for the thunderbirds at Willow run, i think? . Should be a special show, dont forget the Fri. night convoy. always fun .

kscheel

Yes this is the first time the Thunderbirds have been to Willow Run and Thunder Over Michigan. We are very excited to have them!

Also we are looking into making the convoy different this year to mix things up. More to come on that...

Last edited:

kscheel

I'd just like to throw an invite out there to any gun truck owners. We've talked with a few owners already but, it would be great to get a big gathering of yellow nosed deuces and five-tons!

max1008

I was told that there will also be some vietnam reenacting including the hueys that show up. I was made an offer to arrive in the huey in vietnam gear. Although it sounds like once in a lifetime, Im not sure if ill be able to make it.

kscheel

Yes there will be Vietnam battle reenactments both days of the show. It should be spectacular to see the Hueys dropping into the battle!

Last edited:

paradeduty

I would love to make it if at all possible. Would really try to bring our '71 M54A2 - should fit right in - not a gun truck, but the right era. If all goes well, maybe we can bring the PLS or the LVS for the parade and static show.

hatman

The Air Force Thunderbirds were to highlight Thunder over Michigan, they have cancelled their entire 2013 show dates. Thunder over Michigan is normally the first weekend in August, they changed it this year to have the Thunderbirds and now they cancelled. I spoke to Mike Luther about bringing some vehicles to the convoy on Friday night, he said it would be in doubt 50-50 its a no go, because the city has the entire downtown shut down for a local event that has been taking place for years. We will just stay at Greenfield Village for the Motor Muster and enjoy the Village. Motor Muster is the same weekend too.

Last edited: