• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thunderbird's M923A2 thread

Thunderbird

A few of the minor things that are wrong. Don't be hatin' on my Gorilla tape. Little hole in the dust boot and damage to the radiator.

IMG_3499.jpgIMG_3502.jpgIMG_3509.jpgIMG_3510.jpg

Thunderbird

A few more just for fun. For reference, My Ram 3500 is on 3-1/2" of lift and 35" Toyo All Terrains. Somehow, it doesn't look quite as impressive anymore...

IMG_3512.jpgIMG_3514.jpgIMG_3515.jpg

Thunderbird

The truck gods have been smiling on me so far! Keeping my fingers crossed that they continue to do so.

Funny story about emissions testing... So I go into emissions after picking up my little boy at school. Of course, I get there like a half hour before they close, but there's only a few cars in line. They can't test tandems in the normal bays so they open the last bay and wave me right in. They ask for the VIN. I tell 'em. Of course, not in their system. By now, two more MVD employees have wandered over. They call the manager, and she swipes her card in the machine like a head clerk voiding a transaction at walmart. Now that she's 'unlocked' the machine, they can type in anything they want. They type 'other' as I'm slowly sounding out "Bee-Em-Why" for them. Sigh...

Now with four of them standing there they raise up the dyno rollers, and the first one says "What's the weight?" "Twenty one five" I say. More head scratching and running around. Now a fifth MVD guy shows up. Pretty sure at this point that there isn't anyone left in the rest of the station. "We can't test you" number five says, "You're too light for your tandem spacing". Now, I normally try to keep it clean for my little one, but I look at the guy and say "You're sh!tting me". "Nope, sorry. That'll be twelve bucks." Terrific. No test, no passing certificate, and I still have to pay them. "So now what am I supposed to do?", I say. "Dunno", he says, "but you pass automatically since we can't test you. Here's your certificate". Number one, who has been holding the test probe this entire time and I both look at him and say "Really?" at the same time. "Yep, have a nice day!"

A nice day, indeed. I've no doubts the truck would have passed, but I guess I'll never know. At least till next year, when maybe a different crew decided to throw caution to the wind and go for it!

Last edited:

RedBlok

You scored big on the extra stuff in the tool box. I'm jealous. Knowing these things are big, especially when backing up; I am going to add in a backup camera and monitor. There are some since ones out there with hd cameras with NV and 5,7 or 9 inch monitors. Only drawback is they are 12 volt. Looks like you got a great truck.

mcmullag

I picked mine up at Nellis in July, same thing, it went thru KS sustainment unit, new engine built by Dresser. Note your engine oil filter (sits behind alternator) is painted same color as engine, so was mine. I changed mine right away. The trans oil filter is easy to change too. Good luck. Get that Gorilla glue out for the cab cover. You will probably easily get all your money back on it if you ever need to sell it. Congrats.007.jpgGet some tire shine on those tires. : ) I sanded and painted my troop seats this past weekend b/c the ones that came with it were chipped and sand colored.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks