• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thundering M1008 3" straight piped

I've seen videos of these trucks straight piped on youtube before. Thats a pretty raw sound they make with no mufflers. Im useing a set of dynomax mufflers on mine. They are straight through mufflers and pretty loud but if I had to do it over again I would probly use 12" bullet style glasspacks and turn the pipes into stacks with tractor type rain caps since I have a flatbed body on my truck now with space for stacks. Anyhow do you have a yearly inspection where you live and if so how do you plan to pass it with no mufflers???
Back when I had my M1008 I took the mufflers off and put 18-20" cherybomb glasspacks on it (whatever fits in the stock location). Didn't notice too much added sound at idle, and it wasn't much louder when you got on it. The only thing you could hear was a loud cracking/snapping noise. I didn't like it, so I took the mufflers off. It still didn't sound much louder at idle. But it was louder, and still snapped a decent amount when you got on it... Probably because of the small-ish, stock exhaust.

I like my exhaust rumbly and smooth sounding. When I do the exhaust on my 1009 I think I'm gonna try an H-pipe and try to find some good balanced mufflers.

jimmy-90

In North Carolina, anything 25 years of age and older doesn't have to pass emmisions for inspection. So bring on the noise!:driver:
Did you mean emissions OR inspection??? I really really really really HATE VA's yearly vehicle inspection:evil: Oh yeah and in VA you have to take your vehicle through it forever but the emissions goes away after 25 years though.

Last edited:

krall

Sorry, found out today the starter and everything wes fine, the garage left the lights on and the batery died but it now looks like the fuel has geled and will only roar for a second or two and die, the weather should be hotter tomorrow so I hope to have her running and take it then, she really does snap when throddled

krall

oh sorry I didn't answer the emmisions question, just like stated I have the same rull, no emissions and since it is 25 years old I can go antique and not even have to worry with and inspection, I actually plan to get it inspected though since I am giong to try to run this to work and back. as long as the fuel milage dosen't go to crap with the 3 inch straight pipes.

Do diesels even need to get emission checked out there?

I guess we get off real easy in Wisconsin. You only need emissions checked if you're in the 7 county "Milwaukee Area." And even then, only if your vehicle is OBD-II (1996+) for gassers or 2006+ for diesels. And that "emissions test" consists of them plugging into the data-link connector and running a quick scan for check engine light codes.
Anything 1995/2005 or older, and anything outside of the Milwaukee metro area is exempt from emissions. And we don't have inspections either.

dmilkman589

well my exhaust is just about rotted off. i heard you loose power on non turbo diesels with out a muffler, is this true? or as long as my exhaust is the same for each side am i goood.

You shouldn't lose power without the mufflers. Stock mufflers weigh like 25lbs each, and are very restrictive.
A dual 2.5" system or a single 2.5" to 3 inch exhaust would be good. Mufflers don't really play a big role in backpressure/scavenging either way.
A 3" exhaust might be a little overkill.
But as long as you don't go with a dual 3.5" exhaust from the manifolds back, you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Haha. How is your system set up? Is it a full 3" from the engine back? Even then I'm sure a 3" exhaust is ok on a high compression N/A diesel.

On an 80's Caprice I had with a 305, I had 2.5" to hi-flow cats and 3" dual exhaust from the cat back with the pipes infront of the rear wheels, no mufflers. Best sounding SBC I ever heard, and it ran good with the exhaust too.

Have you noticed any change in performance on your 1008?

TCUCV

@jimmy-90 ~ We still have inspecitons, but 25 years or older doesn't have to pass emissions

krall any luck on getting the "GREEn MACHINE" running?

krall

Yes I wish I could tell you but unfortunately my ip went out and it's setting ready to have the pump put in it. When I drove it to the tire shop from the exhaust shop it was supper loud but it wasn't ear ringing. Of course it was only a 5 min. Drive so I am very interested to see how it works. It did feel a bit sluggish but we will see

Disciple

About a month after I bought my '08 I crawled under it with a sawz-all and hacked the mufflers off. I cut just in front of the mufflers and put on some 45 degree elbows pointed at the ground. LOVE IT! Some of my neighbors won't talk to me, others like it, say they feel safer when they hear me come home (the heavily armed gun nut is home, the neighborhood is safe again!). I didn't really notice any performance changes but was told my exhaust temps would go down, which is good. Haven't had any problems with it.

As for the noise, it sounds like a freakin' race car. Nice low "glub glub" at idle, really roars when you stomp on it. Cruising is about the same, still sounds like a school bus. All my friends think it has a really nice tone to it. It certainly is loud though. I'm guessing around 110-120 dB at full throttle. With the windows open, going through a tunnel and punching it, you can feel it in your chest. The tree-hugging, pot smoking, basement dwellers around Minneapolis REALLY hate it. One more reason I love it!

After I lifted my truck it seems quieter in the cab. Less sound reflecting off the pavement. That helped vent the exhaust out too, more air flow under the truck. I don't know if I'm just used to it, or I'm going deaf (probably more than a little of the latter), but it doesn't seem too loud to me anymore. Then again, I'm a Live Sound Audio Engineer (ie. I go to 4-5 concerts a week, love it loud).

Sadly, I will be adding a muffler soon. I just got my Banks Sidewinder in the mail today and will be putting on new exhaust when I install the turbo. Also, I have to have a muffler in order to wheel in the ORV parks here, which is something I've really been looking forward to.

Any suggestions on muffler choice? It can't be loud, but I still want good flow. I know, those don't tend to go together.

Last edited:

True Knight

I cut off the stock pipes and mufflers in front of the rear axle and replaced them with 40 series Flowmasters. Right out of the mufflers are turn downs. It's a bit louder than stock and it has a great rumble to it. It still sounds like a diesel but it has the great V8 rumble too. --CHEAP TOO! I think I paid $60-80 total for both new mufflers on ebay, and welded them on myself. Saved some weight without all the pipe going over the axles too.

Yes I wish I could tell you but unfortunately my ip went out and it's setting ready to have the pump put in it. When I drove it to the tire shop from the exhaust shop it was supper loud but it wasn't ear ringing. Of course it was only a 5 min. Drive so I am very interested to see how it works. It did feel a bit sluggish but we will see
Well isn't that ****. :?

I doubt you can have any real idea as to the performance with a bum IP. And once you put the new one in, it's gonna feel like a new truck. :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks