• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tie rod end replacement

sf38a1

Has any one replace the tie rod on the 73 Dodge W200 with the Spicer 70F front axle . It looks like only the right side is replaceable . How have you replaced the left side , with out replacing the whole Tie rod. ? Any ideas ?

ramtoughM880

susp.jpg

Looking through TM-9-2320-266-24P it looks like they are both 3 pieces, it's on page 192. I Maybe someone replaced yours in a previous life? I'm at work, so I can't slide under my Dodge to check it right now.

Thanks!
jason

Dadgum it! This is for 4X2! And you're right, mine is a one piece like yours is on my 4X4.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has any one replace the tie rod on the 73 Dodge W200 with the Spicer 70F front axle . It looks like only the right side is replaceable . How have you replaced the left side , with out replacing the whole Tie rod. ? Any ideas ?
Posting a picture might help.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one of 3 W200's that I know of with the Dana 70 front axle.
I think the tie rod end is threaded into the end of the long piece.
which is formed around the pinion like this one IIRC
85_1.JPG

Last edited:

sf38a1

100_0863.jpg
Here is a diagram from my Motors Manual. Notice the tie rod end is only changeable on one end. I guess what I would like to know if any one has ever rebuilt a tie rod end ,and if so how? or have they cut the permanent end off ,drilled , threaded and replaced the tie rod. Or welded a new end on . Since I only have one shot at this I don't want to screw it up, Or I'll be searching for another tie rod. Thanks

sf38a1

No only the right one is available . the other (left ) is all one piece, and not available. I have read that either you can get a left tie rod end, (which you would have to do some research to find the correct one to make work) and either cut the old left tie rod off , and drill and tap the tie rod. Or cut and weld the end on . I was putting out feelers to see if any one had do the above. or if any one had a better suggestion .Unless I can find NOS left tie rod,(I'm sure at a hefty price) I pretty much out of luck. I was wondering if tie rod ends are rebuild able.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuidlable? not really. Could it be tightened up? Maybe. You would have to bend/compress the forged part back down on the ball. I would look at getting another end for the pass side and cut off the old & drill & tap the rod.
RH/LH thread no matter as you would not be adjusting from that end, a tack weld or stake to prevent it from turning. If the rod diameter isn't big enough to drill & tap then you are left with a cut & weld job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks