• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tie rod end replacement

sf38a1

Has any one replace the tie rod on the 73 Dodge W200 with the Spicer 70F front axle . It looks like only the right side is replaceable . How have you replaced the left side , with out replacing the whole Tie rod. ? Any ideas ?

ramtoughM880

susp.jpg

Looking through TM-9-2320-266-24P it looks like they are both 3 pieces, it's on page 192. I Maybe someone replaced yours in a previous life? I'm at work, so I can't slide under my Dodge to check it right now.

Thanks!
jason

Dadgum it! This is for 4X2! And you're right, mine is a one piece like yours is on my 4X4.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has any one replace the tie rod on the 73 Dodge W200 with the Spicer 70F front axle . It looks like only the right side is replaceable . How have you replaced the left side , with out replacing the whole Tie rod. ? Any ideas ?
Posting a picture might help.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is one of 3 W200's that I know of with the Dana 70 front axle.
I think the tie rod end is threaded into the end of the long piece.
which is formed around the pinion like this one IIRC
85_1.JPG

Last edited:

sf38a1

100_0863.jpg
Here is a diagram from my Motors Manual. Notice the tie rod end is only changeable on one end. I guess what I would like to know if any one has ever rebuilt a tie rod end ,and if so how? or have they cut the permanent end off ,drilled , threaded and replaced the tie rod. Or welded a new end on . Since I only have one shot at this I don't want to screw it up, Or I'll be searching for another tie rod. Thanks

sf38a1

No only the right one is available . the other (left ) is all one piece, and not available. I have read that either you can get a left tie rod end, (which you would have to do some research to find the correct one to make work) and either cut the old left tie rod off , and drill and tap the tie rod. Or cut and weld the end on . I was putting out feelers to see if any one had do the above. or if any one had a better suggestion .Unless I can find NOS left tie rod,(I'm sure at a hefty price) I pretty much out of luck. I was wondering if tie rod ends are rebuild able.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuidlable? not really. Could it be tightened up? Maybe. You would have to bend/compress the forged part back down on the ball. I would look at getting another end for the pass side and cut off the old & drill & tap the rod.
RH/LH thread no matter as you would not be adjusting from that end, a tack weld or stake to prevent it from turning. If the rod diameter isn't big enough to drill & tap then you are left with a cut & weld job.