• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tie rod ends too tight?!

TLangM998

I installed new tie rod ends and upper ball joints this weekend, and tightened them to the torque specs via the TMs. But the castle nut goes well beyond the cotter pin hole. Is this normal? Did I get the ball joints and tie rod ends with the wrong size joint shafts on them? I attached some pics below. Also, what is this on the rear of my fuel tank? It looks like a really funk fuel line... that's torn. TIA! IMG_6519.jpgIMG_6521.jpgIMG_6522.jpgIMG_6523.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: .... Except where the boot gets squeezed too much, of course.
In that case I have used thin (stainless) sheet-metal to form a cone and use as a shim.

G.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know ball joints and pitman arm/idler arm and center link are different. I don't like how it is exposed past the nut. But in reality, It is not going anywhere and you could always bend the cotter pin ends down to engage the castle nut U shaped. I don't think that comes from over tightening as the joint would stop at the taper but I wonder if the center link for the 12k is thicker? Pure guess on my part, I have not researched.....

TLangM998

I know ball joints and pitman arm/idler arm and center link are different. I don't like how it is exposed past the nut. But in reality, It is not going anywhere and you could always bend the cotter pin ends down to engage the castle nut U shaped. I don't think that comes from over tightening as the joint would stop at the taper but I wonder if the center link for the 12k is thicker? Pure guess on my part, I have not researched.....
I’ll look into it. Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks