• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Tie Rod" from Pitman arm to drag link.

azex

Need to replace this on my M1008 and was wondering what the real (or commercial) part number is on it, and where I can get one.

I don't even mind mail order, as long as I don't have to make 20 trips to "Vato Zone" because they look at you like you're speaking Swahili when you tell them it's a .mil surp truck.

D.
azex@live.com

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's as simple as looking at the -20P tech manual. The part number is the GM part number.

If you own an MV, you need to download and save the TMs, they have almost all the info you will ever need.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to replace this on my M1008 and was wondering what the real (or commercial) part number is on it, and where I can get one.

I don't even mind mail order, as long as I don't have to make 20 trips to "Vato Zone" because they look at you like you're speaking Swahili when you tell them it's a .mil surp truck.

D.
azex@live.com
Three pieces, Moog ES2027L (front) , ES362S (adj sleeve) , & ES2026R (rear)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

D.
azex@live.com
Why would you ever tell them that it is a MIL Surplus truck? They are not the Military. :razz: The GM part number is the closest to REAL as you will get. All the others are just copies...

You can find all the parts you need if you ask for a 1984 Chevy K30 pickup.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you ever tell them that it is a MIL Surplus truck? They are not the Military. :razz: The GM part number is the closest to REAL as you will get. All the others are just copies...

You can find all the parts you need if you ask for a 1984 Chevy K30 pickup.
Never tell the "keyboard cops" at O'reilly's, Autozone, Pep Boys, or the like that you're looking for parts for a military truck. They "don't carry parts for military trucks".

watkinssr

Never tell the "keyboard cops" at O'reilly's, Autozone, Pep Boys, or the like that you're looking for parts for a military truck. They "don't carry parts for military trucks".
My local oreilly, they seem pretty amused by it. They want me to bring it up there after I get it running. I just give them the part numbers, and they get it for me.

K9Vic

The guys at my local O'Reilly and Autozone love my Military trucks, they always ask about them when I pull up to the store.

Oh and these parts are the same part numbers listed at NAPA made by Master Ride Chassis:
Moog ES2027L (front) , ES362S (adj sleeve) , & ES2026R (rear)

jimmyjimwas

Hi does the front part number ES2027L mean mount toward front of truck.
Im getting a different showing looking at the tech manual,
Showing it toward rear could someone explain i am replacing mine and want to be sure
Thanks

cucvrus

Hi does the front part number ES2027L mean mount toward front of truck.
Im getting a different showing looking at the tech manual,
Showing it toward rear could someone explain i am replacing mine and want to be sure
Thanks
That link goes to the pitman arm of the steering box. So I guess yes front side. I hope that helps answer your question.
Price: $23.99

• Part Number: ES2026R
  • Warranty: Limited Lifetime
  • Notes: Tie rod end - rear
    Centerlink consists of sleeve, & 2 tie rod ends (Adjustable type replaces 1 piece design) This one would go to the rear of the drivers side drag link. Does that clear it up?

jimmyjimwas

Hi ,OK.II am confused..... The Tm diagram has part number 15 which is gm 362298 Moog 2026R this part going to the pit man arm...Prev posts use the other tie rod part in front
Is the Tm wrong or what,am i looking at the wrong diagram...
Thanks for listening

Last edited:

joshuak

Hi ,OK.I am confused..... The Tm diagram has part number 15 which is gm 362298 Moog 2026R this part going to the pit man arm...Prev posts use the other tie rod part in front
Is the Tm wrong or what,am i looking at the wrong diagram...
Thanks for listening
I understand your confusion, the location of steering tie rod ends is reversed between the TM-20p and the different manufacturer's/suppliers website (moog, autozone, etc.)

According to the TM the longer tie rod end (ES2027L) should be installed at the front and the shorter tie rod end (ES2026R) should be placed at the back. A click on the highlighted part numbers will take you to the manufacturer's website to confirm that they suggest the other way around.

I do not know which one is correct, I can say that I installed according to the manufacturers recommendation and have suffered no ill effect that I know of.

IMG_0596.jpg

rustystud

Having the long end at the steering arm is just to avoid any contact with the steering knuckle when turning hard right. I have seen them installed both ways and never seen any contact. Though if you turn the tightening bolts vertically you probably could have contact during off-roading.

Haoleb

Having the long end at the steering arm is just to avoid any contact with the steering knuckle when turning hard right. I have seen them installed both ways and never seen any contact. Though if you turn the tightening bolts vertically you probably could have contact during off-roading.

Thanks for clearing this up. I have been having an issue with my steering seeming to just stop responding for a second (noticeable most in sweeping turns) and found a loose drag link. The front one. The rear was just replaced a few months ago. Anyway long story short I look up the P/N in the TM and get the part at Napa. Then compare to the old one and on my truck the longer of the two is installed on the rear. So now back to the parts store to get the shorter one. Glad to see it does not matter which way they are installed though.

Hasdrubal

Just seen this thread after I picked the part up. Went by the 20 manual, listed 362297 which crossed over to Moog ES2027L for the Rear tie rod to steering arm. So its wrong and I actually need a ES2026R?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mabye not. The drag link can be installed backwards with no issues. So your rear one, may or may not be the one you need. The L at the end of the part number is for left hand thread. The R is for right hand thread. So look at the threads on the one you need. I replace both when one goes bad myself. Once one goes bad the other usally ins't far behind.