• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tight/hard steering in one spot....

McSpeed

My truck has been working great - and working hard off-road. 1988 M998.
I had recently had some heavy water crossings and a week after I drained and filled my gear boxes and wheel gear boxes. No water came out - but never hurts to have fresh fluids.
I also re-greased the joints.

So - fast forward to this last weekend I took it out again on an epic adventure through an old mountain goldmine trail.

I noticed my steering is hard - tight when turning from center to the right. If you keep turning it will hit a spot and it is normal - then struggle through back to the left - once it is over center it steers easy again.

The power steering pump is not making any noise

I replaced the steering gear box about two years ago due to a leak on the seal.

Brakes are working perfect.

So, it isn't a fluid issue, or pressure issue.

This can be common a car with a rack&pinion when hit really hard (lateral) to the wheel when it bends the internals of the rack.

A steering gear can do it to from an impact - granted I had some serious rock issues the time before last - but no direct side impact - and the steering didn't get tight until AFTER that event (this last weekend).

Common issue? I'm going to jack it up and then feel for a tight spot and try to isolate if it is a ball joint, tie rod, idler, or just what. Maybe the gear?

Thoughts?

McSpeed

Update - Jacked it up and observed while engine is off I have up and down play in the idler arm and obvious play in the pitman arm to drag link. I am not 100% sure why this could cause a binding sensation but it is the next obvious choice to tackle and clearly it is worn out. Midwest Military had the tie rod/pitman/idler arm kit in stock. Once I get that in I'll see what it does.

My GMC 2500HD is having a minor power steering leak at the gear and I'm changing that out soon - I'll probably follow suit on the other parts as I'm doing here. Let's hope that solves it! Too much off-roading left to do to let it sit up on jack stands the rest of the Summer.

McSpeed

I found the problem!!!!!!!!!! After installing the pitman, idler, and tie rods...and inspecting - the tight steering was still there. What is so odd is it is the same tight with or without engine on or weight on the wheels or even the tie rods connected.

Last night I dropped the intermediate shaft (what pain - you need somebody on both sides of the tunnel to get the nuts off the bolts for the rubber seal.

ANYWAY - my lower u join on the steering shaft is frozen tight in one direction! I didn't realize it has a grease fitting and I have not been greasing it. And it now makes sense how it sort of slowly seized up. I have it soaking in a mix of diesel and trans fluid and it is already moving free. I'm going to get it all cleaned, greased, and we should be back in business soon!

Easy fix - BUT - it really needed the other parts. They were super lose.

The only other issue I have, is the grease fitting on the replacement pitman arm won't take any grease. I've swapped another zerk fitting, but it just locks up when I try to pump in - so I don't know if I have a defective machined pitman arm or what right now.

McSpeed

I found the problem!!!!!!!!!! After installing the pitman, idler, and tie rods...and inspecting - the tight steering was still there. What is so odd is it is the same tight with or without engine on or weight on the wheels or even the tie rods connected.

Last night I dropped the intermediate shaft (what pain - you need somebody on both sides of the tunnel to get the nuts off the bolts for the rubber seal.

ANYWAY - my lower u join on the steering shaft is frozen tight in one direction! I didn't realize it has a grease fitting and I have not been greasing it. And it now makes sense how it sort of slowly seized up. I have it soaking in a mix of diesel and trans fluid and it is already moving free. I'm going to get it all cleaned, greased, and we should be back in business soon!

Easy fix - BUT - it really needed the other parts. They were super lose.

The only other issue I have, is the grease fitting on the replacement pitman arm won't take any grease. I've swapped another zerk fitting, but it just locks up when I try to pump in - so I don't know if I have a defective machined pitman arm or what right now.

MME called me back - said to drive it for a bit and see if the factory packed grease works down in the pitman arm so I can add more - said it was pre-packed and could explain why I can't push anymore in.

We will see - I'm now doing a steering gear, pitman, idler, idler bracket, and tie rods on my 08 GMC 2500.

McSpeed

good info. I have similar issue with a 1151 and was thinking it may be the steering gear. I'll use your experience and check the shaft joints.
I did a video about it. If you jump to the last 3/4 it is where I discovered the frozen steering intermediat shaft I joint.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MME called me back - said to drive it for a bit and see if the factory packed grease works down in the pitman arm so I can add more - said it was pre-packed and could explain why I can't push anymore in.

We will see - I'm now doing a steering gear, pitman, idler, idler bracket, and tie rods on my 08 GMC 2500.
Ive seen this scenario many a time... The tolerances are so tight that the zerk bottoms out.. Might back it out a turn or so, and see if it will take grease.. Worked for me a few times.. Inferior assembly

McSpeed

Ive seen this scenario many a time... The tolerances are so tight that the zerk bottoms out.. Might back it out a turn or so, and see if it will take grease.. Worked for me a few times.. Inferior assembly
That is a great idea and easy to do.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, if I feel the Zero might be touching something or bottomed out , I will put a small washer or two under it to give it a little space inside 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks