• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tighten power steering pump and alternator belts- no helper.

edpdx

My belts started squealing on my M1009 last week. I put it off until today. One look with the engine running told the story. The power steering pump bracket had at least one nut loose. This is the new one i got with purchase of an old P/S pump for $39? The original one had broken twice, and I was tired of failed welds- my own fault for welding it myself.

It was just starting to sprinkle- I was working outside. I wanted to get this job done asap.
BOARD.jpgROPE.jpgTOOLZ.jpg

ABABWP_20170512_13_26_28_Pro.jpg

Here's how with pics- about 20 minutes:

Tools: One 3 foot 3/4"x3" board, one 3/8" adjustable ratchet with 8" extension, one 15mm deep well socket, one pry spike, one 8' length rope.

Loosen the lower bolts holding the Driver side alt. Remove the D/S alt upper (adjusting bolt). Remove ALT belt from P/S pump, and then from the ALT pulley. Swing the free alternator right to get access to P/S pump/bracket.

Loosed BOTH sliding adjuster nuts on P/S bracket- the rear one is hampered by the front injector wiring clip- just pull it off and set it aside. Loosed the pivoting bolt nut just enough so you can get the P/S pump to swivel.

Place the bottom of the 3' board against the center pulley bolt of the P/S pump. Jam it left so that it rests on the fan pulley, be sure it is forward of the P/S belt so that you can tension it correctly. Apply pressure to keep the board in place while you attach the rope around it.

I threaded the rope through the channel, as shown, and secured it in place while I tightened the adjuster nuts first. Then the pivot nut.

Remove the rope and board. Swing the alternator back in place and install the adjuster bolt until barely tight. Thread the belt over all pulleys. ALT pulley- next to last. P/S pulley LAST. Work the spike through the hole in the bracket until the ALT is pushed over and begins to tighten the belt. I made mine a little tighter now, as it usually loosens a bit later.

Tighten the bottom nuts and botlts the ALT pivots on and then the Slider bolt at the top. Tap the spike free.

Don't forget to reconnect the injector wire if you removed it earlier.

Great post! I'll do the same!

My belts started squealing on my M1009 last week. I put it off until today. One look with the engine running told the story. The power steering pump bracket had at least one nut loose. This is the new one i got with purchase of an old P/S pump for $39? The original one had broken twice, and I was tired of failed welds- my own fault for welding it myself.

It was just starting to sprinkle- I was working outside. I wanted to get this job done asap.
View attachment 680113View attachment 680114View attachment 680115

View attachment 680111

Here's how with pics- about 20 minutes:

Tools: One 3 foot 3/4"x3" board, one 3/8" adjustable ratchet with 8" extension, one 15mm deep well socket, one pry spike, one 8' length rope.

Loosen the lower bolts holding the Driver side alt. Remove the D/S alt upper (adjusting bolt). Remove ALT belt from P/S pump, and then from the ALT pulley. Swing the free alternator right to get access to P/S pump/bracket.

Loosed BOTH sliding adjuster nuts on P/S bracket- the rear one is hampered by the front injector wiring clip- just pull it off and set it aside. Loosed the pivoting bolt nut just enough so you can get the P/S pump to swivel.

Place the bottom of the 3' board against the center pulley bolt of the P/S pump. Jam it left so that it rests on the fan pulley, be sure it is forward of the P/S belt so that you can tension it correctly. Apply pressure to keep the board in place while you attach the rope around it.

I threaded the rope through the channel, as shown, and secured it in place while I tightened the adjuster nuts first. Then the pivot nut.

Remove the rope and board. Swing the alternator back in place and install the adjuster bolt until barely tight. Thread the belt over all pulleys. ALT pulley- next to last. P/S pulley LAST. Work the spike through the hole in the bracket until the ALT is pushed over and begins to tighten the belt. I made mine a little tighter now, as it usually loosens a bit later.

Tighten the bottom nuts and botlts the ALT pivots on and then the Slider bolt at the top. Tap the spike free.

Don't forget to reconnect the injector wire if you removed it earlier.

richingalveston

The power steering bracket has a 1/2 square hole in it for a socket extension with a long breaker handle. It can help to tie it off with a string but I remember prying with one hand and tightening with the other without much problem. both alts have hole in bracket and a large flat screwdriver works well.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic #3, I take the same stuff with me on blind dates...

Drock

I was unaware there was a square socket hole? But I've bin just using a crow bar hooked into the front side of the bracket , & pushing against the frame. Pretty much effortless to hold and tighten.20170515_153412.jpg

scottladdy

I use a belt jack system I picked up from MSC Industrial Supply. I'll try to post the number when I am near my toolbox.

rustystud

The power steering bracket has a 1/2 square hole in it for a socket extension with a long breaker handle. It can help to tie it off with a string but I remember prying with one hand and tightening with the other without much problem. both alts have hole in bracket and a large flat screwdriver works well.

Yep, what he said. Tightening any other way can damage the pump. Just remember, all manufactures provide a way to tighten the pumps or any accessory. You just need to look for it. Of course my Subaru needs a special tool to slip the belt on the Air-compressor, but that is another story.

blueblaze

I've never looked for the hole in the bracket, I've always had one of these tools, had it forever and it works mint. I think its made by a company called thexton. It just hooks over the bracket, same as Drock's bent pry bar idea pretty much.
I've seen so many dented P/S pumps from goons who pry against the pump res.
THX383.jpg

rustystud

View attachment 680888I prefer this type of belt adjuster on pulleys. IMHO they are the best kind on V belts. No prying and guessing.
I agree, that is the best way. IHC loved those. The problem is the cost. For just adding a little 1/2" square hole in the bracket they eliminate all that extra stuff. In my opinion you can tell a really good engine manufacture by the little stuff they have on their engines like this belt adjuster. Cheap engine builders don't go the extra mile.

cucvrus

That was on all my Isuzu diesels. I had it on several Bobcats also. Mainly on Isuzu diesel engines. It worked awesome. I can not find anything wrong with it at all. made tightening belts a breeze. I had Isuzu diesel troopers and pick up's they were great vehicles. I seen them on Hyundai's equipment and Komatsu also. No prying and no guessing easy peasy.

BIGHOSS

i found more than 2 bolts on my power steering pump,, i actually counted 5 before my p/s pump was flopping around,, then i started slowly, and tightened the belt up then the driver altenator, then the passenger altenator ,, personally i would rather dangle my family jewels over a spinning blender blade than play that game again,, ..

as far as belts i went to autozone and bought the warranty belts , 2 times - so if my belts get worn i simply put the second set on and bring the beat up sets back in the cardboard and get my replacements free.
just my 2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the belt adjustment procedure is covered in the -20 series technical manual. :confused:

dependable

I've never looked for the hole in the bracket, I've always had one of these tools, had it forever and it works mint. I think its made by a company called thexton. It just hooks over the bracket, same as Drock's bent pry bar idea pretty much.
I've seen so many dented P/S pumps from goons who pry against the pump res.
View attachment 680913
They are inexpensive and they do help. Thexton tools has a lot of useful inventions like these they have bothered to produce and market.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks