• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tilt Column woes

Hasdrubal

Zo, decided to replace the steering column in my 86 M1009 with a tilt column. Problem is the spring that holds the gearshift lever is broken, so it kind of flops around. Quite annoying as I have to use 2 hands to turn the key. Found spring in stock at local dealer.I can take out the pin, remove the shift lever and have access to the spring but it doesn't seem to want to come out. Before I try to savagely tear it out! Anyone with experience of this unit ? Or point me to a manual on-line? It is different than the factory non tilt.

Hasdrubal

Not bad at all,the install was easy, just take out standard column and tilt unit goes back same way. Did it because it was offered for $70.00 and had intermittent wipers.

peyton

AJMBLAZER said:
Ah...intermittent wipers...my eyes sorta glaze over and I drool a bit when I ponder those...
I don't know about the wiper harness from a CUCV but on the civvy side there is a module (about 2.5x6 inches, with heatsink) that the standard harness plugs into that makes the wipers intermittent. It sits just under the steering column. My suburban didn't have it and I put one from the junkyard in and voila! About $5 from Pick-a-Part if I recall correctly.

Peyton

aboonski

Installing a tilt wheel in an M1008

Hello from Central Florida! I wanted to install a tilt wheel in my M1008A and wanted to know if the wiring harness was the same as the stock harness in the M1008? The donor vehicle is a K5 Chevy Blazer that runs on gas and not diesel. I have five full-size blazers and three of them have tilt wheels; also have one tilt wheel in the attic that I pulled from a Suburban years ago. One of the main reasons I would want to change out the steering column is to obtain another ignition key that does not fit all of the CUCVs around the country - sort of a security upgrade if you know what I mean. Thanks for any advice on this subject. Al Broadbent - abroadbent@bellsouth.net cell phone 321 427-3070

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks