• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tilt/Telescope steering

OverSizeHeavyHauler

I know theres the Gringeltaube, Jesusgatos, R Racing, SasquatchSanta, and 86M10086.2L posts on power steering and conversions...

But I scored a Peterbilt Tilt/Telescope steering column and wheel for FREE....
anybody have any info on swappin one of these bad boys in at the fire wall?

I can do the power steering pump an all that when funds allow...but right now, I want Tilt steering.

PROSTOCKTOM

While I have never examined a Peterbuilt steering column,
That tilt mechanism better be good and fricken strong if you are thinking of hooking it to a deuce steering box.
A steering column from a semi truck is as strong as any made on earth.

I owned semi trucks and was in the business for for 20 years.

Your trusting the safety of the public and youself will endure from a 74 foot long 80,000 lb. freight train.

That column will survive anything you'll ever dream of doing in a deuece.

Can't wait to see the finished product might want one for myself.

Tom

Last edited:

ODdave

Bobs reasoning behind saying this it there is a LOT more stress on a deuces column than a semi. The lack of power assist stresses the input shaft much more.

PROSTOCKTOM

Bobs reasoning behind saying this it there is a LOT more stress on a deuces column than a semi. The lack of power assist stresses the input shaft much more.
It will be more than up for the task.

Power steering fails in semis at times. You can still drive them, but Armstrong

steering is NO FUN in one. My first semi didn't even have power steering in it

and had a 238 Detroit with a Twin Stick transmission.

Drive a rig across the quality roads in America and you'ld know that there are

parts of semi that can't fail. I would have 100% faith in using that column in a

deuece.

Tom

Trango

Meeting in 5, so this must be quick.

On my deuce, I cut the stock column and shaft at the firewall. Welded two 90* opposed straps to the OD of the column for support in 2 axes, and bolted those to the firewall.

Found a 1100 series PTO yoke that filled the space perfectly between OD of shaft, and ID of column. Welded it to shaft. I grease the interface of yoke and ID of column so it doesn't sieze on the offchance it gets wet (we're in a dry clime).

You have to figure out something else for horn electrics - I went for a button on the dash.

OverSizeHeavyHauler

I drove an ol 68 Kline wrecker that had a Cat V8 an twin stick, the Armstrong steerin aint a problem for me.

So, basically just weld up a X flange like the ol 60's chevys with the canvas washer?

PROSTOCKTOM

Meeting in 5, so this must be quick.

On my deuce, I cut the stock column and shaft at the firewall. Welded two 90* opposed straps to the OD of the column for support in 2 axes, and bolted those to the firewall.

Found a 1100 series PTO yoke that filled the space perfectly between OD of shaft, and ID of column. Welded it to shaft. I grease the interface of yoke and ID of column so it doesn't sieze on the offchance it gets wet (we're in a dry clime).

You have to figure out something else for horn electrics - I went for a button on the dash.
Please show photos of the swap I'd love to see how it looks in your truck.

Thanks

Tom

Trango

Sure. Here are pics snapped today of this mod. Bear in mind that this was originally performed on this cab to mate up with a telescoping shaft, which went around the wide block of a Cat 3208, to an outboard steering setup.

It now works to mate up to the steering setup that's on my truck, also outboard. Pictures of this won't help you, as it's a Ford box on a 10" hardened frame. Plus, I had to fairly well hack up the louvered part of the driver's fender and wheelwell to get the shaft through there, and I'm well away from addressing the sheetmetal issues with this truck. ;)

BTW, yes, this is with the glue gun (MIG), which I likely did in situ .... bottom line is that the welds are not awesome - strong, but not aesthetic. I do remember TIG welding the yoke to the steering shaft, since I wanted an indubitably good weld on that part.

Best,
Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks