• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TIM Module is not present or malfunctioned

Efituned

I get that message for every module, engine, transmission, ctis...

I know some of these trucks were missing engine modules, but my truck has it.

I haven't been able to start it, it's ran for like 2 seconds on ether. Any ideas?

MAdams

Post a picture of your fuse panel and see if it looks like this. Then check each fuse to make sure they're good. Also there is a small fuse holder near the tim on the firewall under the hood

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with MAdams, check the fuses/circuit breakers. My truck was doing some strange things until I pushed the little reset button on every circuit breaker. It was so hard for me to see if one was tripped so I just reset them all. Some were tripped.

Also, under the hood, on the firewall, near the center of the truck, is a black box sitting horizontal. It is black with just one BIG connector going into it from the passenger side. It is the Diagnostics computer. Check that.

If it runs on ether it could be a fuel issue. Are you sure the engine is getting fuel? Is there smoke coming of of the exhaust when you crank it? White smoke is unburned diesel.

Efituned

Also there is a small fuse holder near the tim on the firewall under the hood
I found some fuses in that area that were zip tied to the wire loom, but not on the firewall. Are you referring to those?

None of my breakers were tripped. I removed some and tested them with a multi-meter. Then I took them all out and put regular fuses, didn't make any difference. I will test and/or replace the relays next time.

The rail has fuel. I also cracked the feed line and I am getting fuel from the mechanical pump. I will put a gauge on it later this week. It seems that the injectors are not getting a signal from the ecm. I saw the diagnostic module in the engine bay, the box and connection look to be in good condition.

IMG_20200119_140751.jpg

This is the message I receive when I "test" the engine codes.

IMG_20200119_102238.jpgIMG_20200119_102310.jpg

My plan forward:
- test relays
- verify voltage at relays and breakers
- look for more fuses/breakers
- verify voltage at the ecm

I'd like to know if the engine is good/healthy so I might try and start it as if it was a standalone unit.

Efituned

So...I have tested/verified all found relays, breakers, and fuses. Found one bad relay in the engine compartment, near the driver's side firewall area. I am getting the correct voltage to the pins on the ecm. The rpm gauge doesn't move when cranking.

I am going to try two more things before I remove the ecm and have it repaired. Verify fuel pressure and if the injectors are receiving a pulse from the ecm.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to remember something about the sensors used to detect the crankshaft speed. I think I remember that on the C12 engine, it is common to have the RPM sensors go bad. There are two of them as I recall and if either of them goes bad, then the engine will not start. Sorry I did not mention this before.

Efituned

I seem to remember something about the sensors used to detect the crankshaft speed. I think I remember that on the C12 engine, it is common to have the RPM sensors go bad. There are two of them as I recall and if either of them goes bad, then the engine will not start. Sorry I did not mention this before.

I check that before I pull the ecm. I am leaning towards the ecm being bad considering that the TIM doesn't recognize it. On the other hand doesn't explain why it can't recognize the other modules.

Efituned

I spoke to a guy from Diesel Control Service about repairing my ecm. Here is what he said...At the moment they have stopped taking in CAT ecm's due to lack of replacement parts. The voltage regulator that provides 90-120v to the injector goes bad. It will spike to 200-250 volts and arcing on other components as well as the microprocessor. Since the parts to fix this is unavailable, he says most place are just selling a verified good used unit when one sends their ecm in for repairing. He advised me to get a used ecm from a parts yard or purchase a new on from CAT.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang! I am not sure that is good news. I think the ECMs are a pricey part. I heard that some guys on here bought non-runners for parts trucks. You could reach out to them so see if their ECM is good and see what their price is.

TacMac2012

For anyone else that has issues, I won't say this is a foolproof diagnostic method, but if you have power available to the ECM, and fuel available at the pump and the truck still won't start it is very likely the ECM. If it fires on ether that is another sign the ECM is bad and not firing the injectors. Also, as was mentioned, when these ECM's go bad they are very rarely repairable.

dirtbikejake

I found some fuses in that area that were zip tied to the wire loom, but not on the firewall. Are you referring to those?

None of my breakers were tripped. I removed some and tested them with a multi-meter. Then I took them all out and put regular fuses, didn't make any difference. I will test and/or replace the relays next time.

The rail has fuel. I also cracked the feed line and I am getting fuel from the mechanical pump. I will put a gauge on it later this week. It seems that the injectors are not getting a signal from the ecm. I saw the diagnostic module in the engine bay, the box and connection look to be in good condition.

View attachment 788491

This is the message I receive when I "test" the engine codes.

View attachment 788489View attachment 788490

My plan forward:
- test relays
- verify voltage at relays and breakers
- look for more fuses/breakers
- verify voltage at the ecm

I'd like to know if the engine is good/healthy so I might try and start it as if it was a standalone unit.
So I am getting this also along with the Interface unable to verify the TIM too. My truck will only run off of ether also which I'm at right now is just a fuel issue but i know it has fuel up to the injectors. So now I'm resorting to an electrical issue.

I pulled the TIM and found that the pin was arced and broke off. Of course this is the power pin also. Pictures below to see what I'm talking about.
MTVR Pin.pngTIM Pin.png
I got a guy that can repair the Pin in the TIM so once its together again hopefully and that will fix all my issues. I think I'm going to test the wires leading to the fuel injectors and see if the ECM is actually working properly to eliminate that from equation.

Good to check all the wiring and plugs also.

I guess my question to everyone is the TIM suppose to have 24V running to it or is it suppose to be 12V?

Curious to see if you got your truck running eventually and what was it?

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My TIM has stopped working also. Unit boots up, displays message "TIM IS WORKING PROPERLY" but will not allow any input from keypad. I know very little about the TIM, so following.

ETCM

I agree with MAdams, check the fuses/circuit breakers. My truck was doing some strange things until I pushed the little reset button on every circuit breaker. It was so hard for me to see if one was tripped so I just reset them all. Some were tripped.

Also, under the hood, on the firewall, near the center of the truck, is a black box sitting horizontal. It is black with just one BIG connector going into it from the passenger side. It is the Diagnostics computer. Check that.

If it runs on ether it could be a fuel issue. Are you sure the engine is getting fuel? Is there smoke coming of of the exhaust when you crank it? White smoke is unburned diesel.
If that box is bad will the engine start? My black box on the firewall is bad and the diagnostics will not see the engine ECU. My engine will not start and I have replaced the engine ECU and cam/ crank sensors. The diagnostics will not see the engine ECU. Do you have a part number for that black box? Mine does not have any info on it. My truck will start on starting fluid. I am not getting any power to the injectors to start it. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks