• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tim292stro's M1009 (formerly math1960's)

tim292stro

The ride is much nicer now :), but for the immediate term, I need to get a lug wrench and jack handle for the OEM jack.

Only did the front two tires and did Korean brand Laufenn (a sub-brand of Hankook), but I'm also going to replace those with Michelin LTX M/S2's later (Fraunch tie-airs mon amie, they are so French they give restaurants stars for good cooking... très bien!), on the next pay cycle. I kept the best two older Goodyear tires on the rear (I HATE Goodyear - long story), the right front went into the spare position inside - that'll be on the pay cycle after that. Not too worried about the off-road capabilities as that is not what I'm doing with this truck, they just need to last me a few years but not fall apart, the Michelins are for comfort, noise reduction, and max fuel economy and they are about an inch larger in diameter at 28.9" (plus a tire UTQG of 720AA is not bad vs. the Laufenn 520AB [thumbzup]).

It was funny to watch the tire shop guys struggle with the tailgate, I was smart and rolled down the glass and put the regulator into freewheel before I handed over the keys, but I still ended up having to go on the shop floor to show them the handle inside to drop the tailgate. How easily defeated these youngsters are these days :shrugs:.

Another Ahab

It was funny to watch the tire shop guys struggle with the tailgate, I was smart and rolled down the glass and put the regulator into freewheel before I handed over the keys, but I still ended up having to go on the shop floor to show them the handle inside to drop the tailgate. How easily defeated these youngsters are these days .
That is until you hand them an iPhone, and then watch them run circles around you.

It's not fun to admit, but maybe we are becoming dinosaurs (and I can attest to the "sore" part of that!). :mrgreen:

tim292stro

That is until you hand them an iPhone, and then watch them run circles around you...
I'd hand them a matching Android to mine and run circles around them... (I just don't play games, a life choice). And when their precious iCult device breaks they'll have to get another one, versus having any idea how to troubleshoot or fix it. That's the part of the new generation that will likely lead to their downfall IMHO. :p

Another Ahab

I'd hand them a matching Android to mine and run circles around them... (I just don't play games, a life choice). And when their precious iCult device breaks they'll have to get another one, versus having any idea how to troubleshoot or fix it. That's the part of the new generation that will likely lead to their downfall IMHO.
Oh, I hear you; and I know just what you mean.

But it's funny because you can go back as far as Cicero (1st Century Rome), and read some of his letters saying how "the youngsters of the new generation won't amount to anything".

The ancient Egyptians pre-dating Rome probably wrote the same things.

But maybe all the ancient Egyptian teens rolled their dope in the old papyrus letters, and smoked them all up, and that's why we don't have those records. You think!?

tim292stro

So today had a hiccup, light turned green, put foot on accelerator, engine rev'd, but no movement. I found that the shift selector has a wear spot between D and N, and apparently it can slip into it... Looks like I need to rent that steering wheel puller again.

It's been running like a champ now for two straight weeks, I've been flipping the manual glow plug switch until such a time as I can get under the hood to find out what was cut/moved to make the manual switch happen.

For a two week average, I'm looking at about 11.57MPG with nothing but stop and go city driving (never get to a cruising steady state). I'd like to do 4-6MPG better than that, I have some filters to change, vacuum lines to replace, probably do a new CDR valve, and new tires to install - I'm saving judgement until after that's done, and still keeping it off the freeway until I can get more of the road rubber changed. I get the feeling that the tranny might be in need of some work, and I noticed this morning that some idiot lights are no longer working.

Some definite wet marks under the transfer case now, it's probably due for some new seals.

tim292stro

With great solemness I have come to the end of my time with a dear friend...

My 1993 Toyota Pickup is going to a Toyota specialty junk yard tomorrow morning, having been replaced by the M1009 as my daily driver - 460,294 miles on the clock (I took over its care in 1998 with 96K on the odometer), and still looking fairly young - people would come up to me at the gas station and ask what year it was, and would be shocked to find out its 22-years old. The wife had her last drive in it last night after I spent all day cleaning the parts out I didn't want to give up (carputer, stereo, radios, expensive LED fixtures...), and I'll be taking my oldest in it on the way to the junkyard for his last ride tomorrow morning.

M1009 is running great, this morning though I may have found a cause for my low fuel mileage - when running, I noticed a leak on the output of the lift pump. That fuel will not end up in the engine or returning to the tank, and at idle it was a drip or two a second (times 5 days a week, 2x 45 minutes trips a day - that's 27,000 to 54,000 drops a week, roughly a half gallon from one leak at idle, I'm sure it's worse when driven). Fuel system is now top priority on the rubber replacement, might do a lift pump too while I'm at it.

Another Ahab

With great solemness I have come to the end of my time with a dear friend...

My 1993 Toyota Pickup is going to a Toyota specialty junk yard tomorrow morning, having been replaced by the M1009 as my daily driver - 460,294 miles on the clock (I took over its care in 1998 with 96K on the odometer), and still looking fairly young - people would come up to me at the gas station and ask what year it was, and would be shocked to find out its 22-years old.
You sure enough got your money's worth out of that truck.

tim292stro

Hard to kill a Toyota, probably why ISIS/ISIL is using them (much to Toyota's embarassment :oops:).
https://youtu.be/xnWKz7Cthkk

The wife and my father still have 4Runners (gen4 and gen3 respectively) so I can still have my Toyota fix when I feel the need. Had to have a car we could take to vallet and not get noses raised at us...

Another Ahab

Hard to kill a Toyota, probably why ISIS/ISIL is using them (much to Toyota's embarassment :oops:).
https://youtu.be/xnWKz7Cthkk

The wife and my father still have 4Runners (gen4 and gen3 respectively) so I can still have my Toyota fix when I feel the need. Had to have a car we could take to vallet and not get noses raised at us...
That is totally amazing, the Toy that Wouldn't Go Down!!

And when you're ready for a real car, this is what you need right here:

Car.jpg

Last edited:

tim292stro

Try as they might.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD5_k

I thought I did a good job getting a real vehicle...
0912151252_small.jpg

If that's not enough, the XM1027 will be its replacement when finished (cannot wait to get back into that now that the summer calamity has ended...). That's the kind of truck that'll put some hair on your chest - probably shouldn't let too many ladies drive it :D.

Can't see myself in an Elvis car... I left that building a long time ago :beer:

Last edited:

Drunkle Scuzzy

In my travels in Asia and Latin America I have seen Toyota Hilux and Landcruisers do amazing feats. Guatemala was particularly Landcruiser heaven, every variety you could imagine especially the old trucks and what not.

Last edited:

tim292stro

Happy Halloween!

I finally had a moment without kids or work to re-attempt the inside rearview mirror, and do the passenger convex.

Here is the before (factory) mirror:
1031151221a.jpg

And here's the after (Burco 3031):
1031151255b.jpg

Even when I'm kid free, I can never truly be kid free - my oldest came outside to "help"
1031151258a.jpg

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter

tim292stro

The factory glass is glued to the head with a silicone ahesive in 5 dots (US quarter, or a one Euro coin).

I taped the entire face with painter's tape, put on some safety glasses, and used a putty knife around the edge of the glass to slowly pry it off. Only broke towards the end, my theory is less glass to clean up is better for me, and one bad swing with a hammer could have me replacing a whole mirror head. Finesse is the right way to go IMHO [thumbzup]