• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timber Rattlesnake on Air Cleaner

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Glad you're ok Gary. I like rattlesnakes but only the big ones. They can be quite tasty if prepared correctly. My dog got bit twice by rattlers and survived. First time she didn't get antivenom because we didn't know that's what happened until the next morning. Only long term effects are that she begs for food, bones, treats, petting, walking, attention, riding in vehicles, and table scraps. She's has aversions to baths, vets, and taking pills. I think the first bite caused this mental change cause she's done it for a long time. BTW, both snakes that bit her didn't fair too well. Both were too small to eat so both had a 6000 pound truck parked on top of them for a minute or two.

someoldmoose

We have Copperheads and Eastern Diamondbacks around here, although infrequently. I still TRY to always look before I reach anywhere while outside. At least the rattlers might give ya a warning. Copperheads just strike in silence.

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not too far from ya now, and went to college there at WCU. The snakes seem to be getting more widespread in my opinion. My dad got bit by a rattler a few years ago, but luckily it didn't inject him, just sliced him up a little. I have killed several copperheads on my property. True story, I have the pic someplace, I was bow hunting turkey and walked up on 5 foot copperhead, biggest I've ever seen and shot it ten yards out with the bow. I had the heeby jeebies for two hours. Ive also been know to empty a clip while mowing and seeing one slither off too. Neighbors know when I saw something. I do have one 6 foot black snake and 6 foot king on our property too(which I allow), but they haven't put much dent in the nasty snake population.

Actually, we have a severe feral hog problem on my property. I have a feeder and we shoot the hogs when they feed. We also have a lot of bears and the hogs stay away from the feeder when the bears are around. We have four dogs and the dogs keep the hogs away from near the house where I want them to kill the copperheads and timber rattlers. The bears apparently don't mind the dogs. I also have a lot of king snakes and other non-poisonous snakes, but most of my snakes are poisonous. Having a creek run by the house doesn't help either. I'm on 32 acres in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Georgia surrounded by National Forest. We have a significant amount of wildlife here. We even saw a cougar about three years ago.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You should find some king snakes and release them around your house.
I had one at my shop last year. "Jake" as I called him. Haven't seen him this year though. :( Haven't seen much of any king snakes at all. I'd love to find a few to transport to my shop and house. We have copperheads here. At least they're prettier than rattlesnakes.

jbayer

Just for info, in NC:
"Timber rattlers are listed as a “special concern species” in North Carolina, which means they are likely to become a threatened species within the foreseeable future.
Under North Carolina law, they can only be killed in self-defense and it’s illegal to possess the snake or any part of it."

winfred

hit the roll up at work last year and a baby rattler about a foot long starts looking for a new place to hide, i tried giving him some shelter under my boot but he fell asleep and didn't wake up, tossed him back into the ditch he likely came from

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hit the roll up at work last year and a baby rattler about a foot long starts looking for a new place to hide, i tried giving him some shelter under my boot but he fell asleep and didn't wake up, tossed him back into the ditch he likely came from
The little ones tend to grow up to be big ones - good riddance!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like packing something like a .45 with bird shot rounds would be a good idea for a lot of you folks-----!!

Barrman

We had the county wildlife biologist talk to our Trail Life Troop last night. She had a Timber Rattler in an aquarium that someone had found last week. That rattle would start buzzing when anyone got within a few feet from any direction all night long. I really hate that sound but as point out above. Would rather hear that than first feel the fangs of a copper head.

1 year in jail and $100,000 fine for killing one around here.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about the timber rattler population state-wide in Georgia, but we are covered up here with both timber rattlers and copperheads. I'm on 32 acres surrounded by national forest. I'm not kidding when I say there is a snake den near my house. I've never seen an eastern diamondback here, but I came across a very large one in Western North Carolina about 15 years ago. I let it be.

cpotato2001

A couple weeks ago was cleaning the back of the M109A3 as I refer to it being my “Camper” refinished it a little, with carpet, a couch and some AC.. also piled up in the back is an 11’X11’ military tent in 3 bags with military cots for when I want to get serious about “going to the field” lifted one of the cots finding a coiled up bull snake trying to imitate a rattle snake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks