• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time Delay Relay for Accessory Power?

Hollowman

Hello all,
I've been considering a variety of auxilliary electrical gizmos (mostly amplifiers, but some lights eventually too) for my M1009. I've read numerous posts on here regarding which battery to use for a chassis ground system (front) and which for the isolated ground (rear). I really am impressed with the level of information people have to share and how willing everyone is to help out, this site rocks. On to my idea... I was thinking that since the front battery probably sees a pretty significant discharge during starting, and it takes a little while for the alternator to replenish that charge, I should put my auxilliary toys on some kind of delayed power circuit. I figured I could put in a time delay relay of some type which was triggered by say, the radio power antenna lead, which is a common amplifier turn on trigger. Then I could set the relay to kick on up to three or more minutes after the engine has started has had some time at idle. Most of my speakers will be powered by one of two or three amplifiers but, if I ran a small component set in the dash off of the radio itself, I could at least hear someting for the delay interval. If I could figure out a circuit that gets power only when the engine is running, i could prevent premature power ups from cycling the key in the ignition, or leaving it in the accessory position. Is this a worthwhile idea? I just want to keep as much load off the system as I can immediately following startup. I still need to figure out exactly what kind of relay would be best for this i.e. amperage, configuration, etc. but so far it looks like there are some options available. I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts and recommendations about this approach, also any experiences you may have had doing this to your truck, parts sources etc. or if you know of any such circuits as I've mentioned for a trigger besides the stereo. Thanks to everyone whose posts have helped me avoid potential problems and to rectify unexpected issues, your input on this site is invaluable!

Regards,
Hollowman

MarcusOReallyus

IMO, you are over-thinking this. If your draw is really big enough to tax the stock alternator, get a bigger alternator. Other than that, power everything through a relay such that nothing is powered while cranking is going on.

Done.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks