• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for everyone's favorite game!!!!! I.D. That Jeep!!!!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where are the VIN numbers on the m38s. He needs to takes some pics and if there isn't a data tag.

BillF

No m38 has no VIN number on the frame. It can only be found in two place on the m38, the dash panel, either screwed directly to the dash, or riveted to a panel that is screwed to the dash (early m38's each data plate is individually screwed to the dash, later ones are mounted to the plate first), the only other place in on the wheel well behind the front passenger seat.

M715VFD405

Thanks Bill I'll be looking at it Sunday in person I'm going to need all the info I can on this one, Thanks to Zouts pointing out I hadn't asked about a title I now know it doesn't so if this isn't worth the time/money to get the title then I'm going to have to pass, I don't mind hard work but getting titles and playing games with getting it a title isn't my idea of fun. So if this isn't mostly an M38 then I'm not going to waste my time. Thanks guys for your help. wish me luck lol

zout

Take a little bit lighter photo's- little dark to pin point details.

From just looking at it I sure would not offer much as you have lots of labor to do - and trust me it can be done.
If your only looking for a basis jeep of any sort without much detail to keep the costs down.

Mechanical #1 issue - is it ALL there for you to piece together.
Body #2 - everything can be had for a price if your willing to pay it.

Get it running have fun with it while you piece it together - once we find out "what" it is.

Good Luck - sounds like your really interested in it.

Scarecrow1

Again zout nailed it on the head. It is like any other project you work on at some point it has to make good business sense. It looks from all the comments here that it may be a cross over of military and civilian. To me in the beginning the appeal to save a military jeep was a big part of your wanting this jeep. The point here is if it is military or civilian it has everything to do with the price. The reason all the C.J.s before the 7 went to the bone yard was because of their instability and proneness to roll over. So if it is the civilian model It would be far less money to me. I would hate to see you tie a bundle of cash into this project only to have restored some thing no one wanted. Just check the title and as we always say on here no title no sale.........

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oklahoma is a title state. No title? it is for parts. (there are ways to get a title but $$$ and time are involved)

M715VFD405

I'm not looking for a quick get it on the road fast kinda project I want something I can take my time working on so the money thing isn't an issue. Wasting time and money on titling something that not an mv isn't what I want to spend money on if this is going to be to much of a hassle I'll pass on the deal and find something else. I love my M715 so I don't need something to putt around in. Just want something to keep me busy with hard work not time in a title office for something that's not an mv

M715VFD405

Hey bill can you send me pix of you plates in there locations block out the numbers if you need to I just need to know exactly where to look and anything else I might need to I'd frame and body. I'm going Sunday morning to look in person ore I make up my mind on this thing thanks

M715VFD405

The guy told me the dash plates are all gone so I'm hoping the one behind the seat is still there. I know what to look for as far as the body from the link Zout sent there isn't much difference with the body other then the pioneer tool mounts, headlight rings, battery panel on the cowl and blackout light are about the only tell tails. The panel on the cowl you can see in the pix and I think I see the notches for the tools but I might be "seeing what I want".

M715VFD405

DING DING DING we Have a WINNER!!!!!!!!! M38 on a CJ2A frame. It was a fun trip to see this thing, the guy was nice the hitch to the whole deal it he "horse traded" to get it. Now no title no deal is what I get from everybody but have a look at what's here before you jump the gun to much. 2 frames and 3 tubs plus parts of maybe one more. I seen 2 military hoods and only 1 m38 and 2 cj2a's tubs. oh and 2 blackout lights still mounted to the fenders. The frame under the M38 tub is an cj2a seen in the frame tag pic. the other frame I'm pretty sure goes with the M38. So either the PO had a title issue or he blow a motor or trans or something and just swapped bodies. IDK it's a hodge podge of parts but I'm thinking one of the numbers wasn't used to tag it and I'm betting because of all the paint I scraped off the M38 serial number wasn't used. So maybe the tag agency won't make me file for a lost title. Anyway on to the pix!!!!

20130428_105900.jpg20130428_105951.jpg20130428_110131.jpg20130428_110144.jpg20130428_110249.jpg20130428_110721.jpg20130428_110847.jpg

BillF

Lots of good ww2 jeep parts, two ww2 mb/gpw tubs, at least one combat wheel. I did see an m38 frame. Good find, wish it was in NH I would be all over it.

M715VFD405

The kicker is going to be a title's, the "upside down" tub is the worst of the batch and has more holes and cancer then I have skill for. The other in the field is a little better off but is still ruff. The M38 tub on the frame is in good shape only a few dents and dings I think I can work with. I'd love to be all over this deal but I really need a title......

zout

OR - you need to pick it all up on a super great deal and part it all out - then take your money and get one with a title - you most likey will find one more together and will all pieces attached. Just a thought from someone who has no problem with "projects" but this may be your better choice.

And - you do have choices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks