• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for new fenders

Dave 52804

Well, I think it's time to get new fenders on my 1028. The inner fenders are pretty much just flapping in the breeze. The batteries are starting to drop down a bit too. How tough of a job is it to change out the fenders and inner fenders? Any advice from somebody here that's "been there and done that"? Thanks in advance for the help!!

IdahoPlowboy

I had to repair the inner fender on the passenger side of my 1028 because the previous owner neglected loose bolts that supported the batteries. It was not too bad of a job to get the inner fenders and fenders off but I can imagine with new fenders you might have some time getting the body lines to line up and fender too door gaps.

transman

The body gaps and lines are set using "body washers" (slotted spacers ) . It's not difficult ,just a little time consuming as adjusting one gap usually effects another one. Ihave found that OE parts(used or new) give a better result than any aftermarket pieces that I've esed to date. Take care not to snap the bolts that fasten the fender to the radiator support A little penetrant and or heat helps.

niferous

I was researching this just last night and ran across a post on the Colorado K5 forum. Apparently taking it off is not that hard but getting everything back on and lined up isn't. I'm probably going to buy some new inner fenders from LMC truck, get the parts that will actually see the road and get them Rhino lined. The other side will probably get the same or just POR-15 coated. Anyway after all that I'm probably just going to have a body shop put it on and get it straight. I'll go ahead and have them get the rest of the dents out as well while it's there.

SimonG

when I got my 1009, I went crazy looking for new parts and found a set of left/right innner and outer fenders, great shape but turns out I only need to replace the outler left :x, saves me work and this thread helps explain how its done

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to go by the dealership or a #1 bodyshop and find out where they are getting their sheetmetal. I don't think you can get GM parts for this and most aftermarket, and especially LMC, sheetmetal is dreadfully hard to get aligned right.

Oh yes dont forget to warn the guys in the body shop about using PROPER PPE When sanding on the CUCV that Carc paint is nasty stuff Look at the MSDS sheet its got some stuff in it u dont want to breath good luck im with the others its hard to get the body lines not impossible time consumeing yes :]
[thumbzup]

ryan77

Get a set of used ones from a cucv replacement ones are different and will have to be modified for the battery trays to work proper!

Zero_cool

I just did the inner fenders yesterday. Pretty simple job. The passenger side has support braces welded on the bottom.
Make sure you grind them off and install them on the new one or your batteries will fall threw while your driving...Dont ask me how I know:oops:

Dave 52804

Thanks for the info guys. I probable tackle this job in the spring after I get my year end bonus from work. I don't really mind if the body lines are perfectly straight, I'm just tired of the inners flapping in the breeze as I go down the road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks