• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for new tires

OLDCHEV4X4

Its time for new tires on the M1008. It currently has the stock tires and wheels the truck came with from GL , Cooper 235/85R16 load range E. They looked good when I got the truck ,but they wore out fast on the front.

I would like to go a little wider, not taller, since taller tires rob power and the 6.2 isnt known for excess power. Plus towing trailers will be easier. The 265/75R16 will fit the bill. But.....It requires a 7"-8" rim. Stock rim width is 6.5".

I have put tires on narrower than recommended rims before, but I didn't feel good about it. They ware in the center of the tire. I like the stock look, so aftermarket rims are not a option. The only wheel that i could find at all the junkyards that I frequent are off a Ford van, 16X7. The center is a little big. I like the idea of the wheel being centered and supported by the center also.

Is there chevy wheels that will work? Or should I just go for the Ford wheels?

Also, The tire I'm contemplating is the Goodyear Duratrac. Anybody got these on there truck? Any balancing problems?
Since this truck spends most of its time on the road, I dont want a mud tire.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your stock rims will be fine. Worst case, monitor tire wear, and adjust pressure accordingly.

I had 285/75-16 tires on my stock rims, and they wore perfectly. For the first 1000 miles or so, i checked pressure, temperature and tread contact width. Found what worked best, and ran that .

I now have the Humvee tires though. I went up in size to drop rpm at highway speeds.

At 55 MPH and under, I get better fuel mileage.

cucv1833

Doghead,

I have 10.5" goodyears that i want to put on a 10.5'' alloy rim do you think this is possible
and if it does seat the bead should it be ok. the shop i want to bring it to said they have a cheater and will give it a try. just looking for advice. the m1009 axles under my m1008 look a little narrow this may help the look. these rims were free and the tires are in good shape. any advice would be helpful.

rnd-motorsports

Yes they will work but just as a narrow wheel the wider wheel will wear the tire also but on the outside edges the 10.5 inch tires should be on a 8 inch wheel but will work on the 10 inch I like to tell customers to keep wheels 1.5 - 2 inch narrower then the tread width of the tires they are running just a general rule of thumb!![thumbzup] always better to go with what the tire recomends!

rnd-motorsports

Sorry oldchevy4x4 your post and never said anything about you question I would not worry about the dif. in rim width as doghead stated in first good drive check the tires contact patch and temp across the tire the closer to the same temps across the tread the better. Also I would have the front end alignment checked should not wear the front tires much faster then rears. sounds like out of align also keep rotated !

Its time for new tires on the M1008. It currently has the stock tires and wheels the truck came with from GL , Cooper 235/85R16 load range E. They looked good when I got the truck ,but they wore out fast on the front.

I would like to go a little wider, not taller, since taller tires rob power and the 6.2 isnt known for excess power. Plus towing trailers will be easier. The 265/75R16 will fit the bill. But.....It requires a 7"-8" rim. Stock rim width is 6.5".

I have put tires on narrower than recommended rims before, but I didn't feel good about it. They ware in the center of the tire. I like the stock look, so aftermarket rims are not a option. The only wheel that i could find at all the junkyards that I frequent are off a Ford van, 16X7. The center is a little big. I like the idea of the wheel being centered and supported by the center also.

Is there chevy wheels that will work? Or should I just go for the Ford wheels?

Also, The tire I'm contemplating is the Goodyear Duratrac. Anybody got these on there truck? Any balancing problems?
Since this truck spends most of its time on the road, I dont want a mud tire.

Cooper discoverer radial lt?

I've run those for years and they have lasted 70-90k miles. I would see why they wore so fast.

OLDCHEV4X4

Sorry oldchevy4x4 your post and never said anything about you question I would not worry about the dif. in rim width as doghead stated in first good drive check the tires contact patch and temp across the tire the closer to the same temps across the tread the better. Also I would have the front end alignment checked should not wear the front tires much faster then rears. sounds like out of align also keep rotated !
Darn Hijackers!:p

My truck has the Dana 60 squat, and wore out the fronts. I'm rebuilding the kingpins before the front tires go on. The back ones will be spares.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Mastercraft is made by Cooper, look at thier LT tires.

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your stock rims will be fine. Worst case, monitor tire wear, and adjust pressure accordingly.

I had 285/75-16 tires on my stock rims, and they wore perfectly. For the first 1000 miles or so, i checked pressure, temperature and tread contact width. Found what worked best, and ran that .

I now have the Humvee tires though. I went up in size to drop rpm at highway speeds.

At 55 MPH and under, I get better fuel mileage.

WOW--- 285's fit inside stock-suspension wheel wells? Like no rubbing in the turns? (front) A while back I read where you lifted your '08 and it looked good w/oversize tires. But I was informed by a tire dealer that 265's would be the max size for a stock suspension, which is the way I like to keep my M1008... care to comment on that Mr. D?

ehuppert

Randy,

I've got 285 75 16's on my 08 with no rubbing or unusual wear issues. Had to "adjust" the steering stop bolt slightly due to drag link contact, but no problems otherwise.

I'm also ready for new shoes, and seriously contemplating the duratracs. Seem to have good reviews from what I've read, and looks like a decent tire. Currently running Procomps which were a little cheaper, but are only 8 ply. I've had 3700 lbs payload (stone, quarry operator didn't stop when i signaled!)) in the truck and was a little concerned with the lower tire rating. I installed the 1028 overload springs and perches,, truck handled the weight just fine for the short distance i had to go.

The slightly taller tire (1") shouldn't make a tremendous difference in power and gives a tiny bit more top speed. I use the truck for plowing, so can't really lift it any further either.

I'm also on the stock 6 1/2" inch rims, tires wore fine. Backs seem to wear quicker than the fronts, but are even with no crowing etc. I did have minor cupping on the front, but pretty normal for 4 wheel drive.

Eric

D T

the stock rims are consideribly more stout than civy rims ,I would not trade my stock rims for nothin'! Mastercraft are made by cooper,I had them on one of my m1008's,nothing special,I never liked Coopers anyway,I like Michelin ,and Wranglers,Im using Maxxis Big horns,nothin special either,from schwabby

cucv1833

Darn Hijackers!:p

My truck has the Dana 60 squat, and wore out the fronts. I'm rebuilding the kingpins before the front tires go on. The back ones will be spares.

Sorry for jumping in OLDCHEV4x4 this looked like a good place to ask my quick question instead of starting a new thread :) . good luck with picking a new tire I like the Duratrac wranger but have no real experience with them.

OLDCHEV4X4

Update:
I went with the Goodyear Duratrac 265/75 R16 10 ply on stock 6.5" wide wheels.
So far so good. It did take a lot of weight to balance one of them. We even tried rotating the tire on the rim to see if that would help.
I rebuilt the kingpins and set the toe before i put them on so tire wear should be a non issue.
I cant hear the tire's over the engine, so I dont know if they are noisey or not.
Over all I like them.
My 2 boys and I (7 and 12years) took a 4 hour trip (one way) to Trout Run in north central PA. They still had plenty of ice and snow up to the Cabin. We where the only ones to travel the road recently. Just to make sure the ice didn't throw me a curve, I put chains on all 4 tires.
On the way home Sunday it rained the whole way home.....like 3" of rain.
The Duratrac's never missed a beat, and are wearing real even.

Attachments

rnd-motorsports

Really nice lookin tire just went threw my front suspension spring bushings and king pins repacked wheel bearings now looking at tires will look at them they look good ! [thumbzup] I will not go with a 10 ply we get alot of snow here and 10 plys are to hard my 05 2500 hd had 10 plys and go stuck on flats put on 8 plys and wow dif. truck!

Last edited:

OLDCHEV4X4

Really nice lookin tire just went threw my front suspension spring bushings and king pins repacked wheel bearings now looking at tires will look at them they look good ! [thumbzup]
Yes they do look good Ron, I was hesitant to get Goodyears because of the reputation of them wearing out quickly. You know the saying: Goodyear....Lucky to get one good year...
But I liked the looks and so I went for it. I will monitor tire wear and hope for the best.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks