• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time to change the batteries

paramilusmc

So I still have the original two batteries in my M1009, and it's time to replace these old boys. They just won't hold a charge very well now a days. What have you guys been putting in your 1009s for replacement batteries? Need something that will handle cold weather. Not to conscious as far as cost goes.

Thanks in advance.

MarcusOReallyus

You're in San Diego, and you're asking about batteries that can handle cold weather?

Unless you drive that thing to Montana or Wyoming for hunting season, I don't think "cold weather" means what you think it means. :D

paramilusmc

You're in San Diego, and you're asking about batteries that can handle cold weather?

Unless you drive that thing to Montana or Wyoming for hunting season, I don't think "cold weather" means what you think it means. :D

With all due respect, I am active duty military stationed in Southern California, that will not be my new home of resident and I do not plan to leave my CUCV when it comes time to transition out of the military and back to the north. Yes I will have to put up with -20F weather once I transition back home. So believe you me, I know the meaning of cold.

A lot of guys use Group 31 or Group 65. Group 78's can also work. You can make just about anything fit with a little massaging.

The build quality and specs of the battery is the major difference. I would look for batteries around 850 CCA or above. Interstates are very good, but can be a little pricey. Interstates Mega-Tron Plus Group 65 has 875CCA and a 6yr warranty, which is a plus. They go for $135-200. I've run an Interstate in my Grand Marquis for almost 5 years with good results. Only issue was that a cell shorted out 2 years ago, but I took it in and got the battery replaced, no hassle. I think the cell got messed up when my alternator went bad.

Kirkland batteries (Costco brand) are very good, and inexpensive too (under $90). I've had 2 group 65 Kirkland 900cca batts in my 1009 for 3 years now, they've been great to me so far. If I can help it, they will be my go-to battery for every vehicle I own in the future. Downside is you need a Costco membership or know someone who has one.

Guys seem to have mixed results with Optimas; some swear by them, some say they're crap within 2 years. I don't have any experience with them. They are around $200-275.

EverStarts (Walmart) are garbage and you will probably have to replace them every 1.5-2 years (some people say it works out well, because they die before the warranty is up, so you can just go and get a new free battery every couple years) :cookoo: They range from $80-130 depending on which level.

DieHard batteries (Sears/Kmart) are pretty good. I've had good luck with them in a few different vehicles. They are $115-200 depending on the warranty and style of battery.

AGM batteries, Absorbed Glass Mat, (like Optimas) are made by other manufacturers too, like Interstate, DieHard and Odyssey. AGM's are supposed to work well with higher accessory draw applications, are more vibration resistant, and with vehicles that are plugged in a lot (like with battery tenders which are also helpful in cold weather starting). They also don't need to be mounted vertically, which makes them more adaptable for different mounting situations. But most AGM's are typically in the $200 to 300+ range, and for a vehicle like CUCV's that require 2 batts that can get expensive fast.

The other option is to go with the 6TL batteries which is stock for the CUCV's and other military trucks. Interstate, Hawker, Odyssey and a couple other manufactures make them, but they are pricey ($275-500), harder to find, and weigh double that of a standard automotive battery.

I would look up reviews for the Group size for each manufacturer when you narrow down your search. Inconsistency can happen widely within one manufacturer from battery size to battery size. For example, a few years ago DieHard was ranked 1st in Consumer Reports Battery Tests in the Group 65 category, but were at the bottom of the Group 48 category.

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
O'reilly auto has, or can get, 6TL direct replacements for 199.00, at least that's what I paid here in New Mexico. Just type in part number 6TL on the home page.

Regards,
Ed

j.cherry377

the only two that my research showed were compatible with both extended cold weather and diesel vibration were the 6TL or the 31XHD . Both have the apx same capacity at 0 degrees and both are high enough capacity to support the 60 second glow plug time after being exposed for up to 3 days at -20 degrees. Longer periods below -20 will most likely require a combination of a float charger and a battery heating mat that turns on when below 0 degrees f. If you need to have the vehicle ready for short notice operation then a Kat circulating coolant heater and heater on the tranny pan that comes one below zero is a plus to keep warm ups to like 5-10 minutes. Also a remote controlled or timer based circuit to switch these on 1-2 hours before anticipated use is also a plus. For additional specifications on various batteries see: http://sunnymeadcycles.com/files/battery_sizes.pdf
[h=1][/h]

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed dual Interstate MTP-24's in my M1009 a couple of years ago. They are 800 CCA beasts. I don't have to deal with -20F or colder in sunny Florida, though.

Barrman

As the varied replies show. Get whatever you want as long as it has more than around 800 CCA per battery. I went Red Tops on my 6.2 powered M715. I went to get another set for my son's M1009, RED, last weekend. We ended up getting a pair of Oreilly Group 31 batteries with the exact same warranty as the Optima's and more CCA. 940 CCA each I think and 1150 normal amps. Both of them for a few dollars more than a single Optima.