• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Timing Marks on a MEP-002

cdisbennett

I pulled the injector pump on my newly aquired MEP-002 and freed up the rack. Now I am trying to put it back on and I can't find the timing marks on the flywheel. Thought they might have been painted over so I removed the paint off the edge and still nothing. Am I missing something?? Is there some other way to find the PC mark? The only thing that I can find is a series of lines that start out short then each subsequent mak gets longer, these are parrallel to the flywheel and an X on the front side between the fins.

Any help would be great.

Charlie

cdisbennett

OK, someone could have told me I was at the wrong end of the engine, but I put the IP on and the engine started. Now the problem is that it runs but when you go from the start position to the run position it stops running. As long as I hold the switch in the start position it runs but there is no control over the speed. Looked in the trouble shooting section and this is not addressed. I think that these Onans have 2 different setting for the fuel shut off, one is pull open and the other is maintain open. Do you think this is a solenoid problem or a switch or am I way off base??

Charlie

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel solenoid doesn't care whether you are in run or start, they are both the same. When you are holding it in start position, the low oil pressure safety switch is bypassed as well as the high temperature safety switch. One of them is probably shutting you down, it could be something more obscure but I doubt it. Make sure you have good oil pressure, and jumper across the switch with a piece of wire (It's located right beside the oil filter housing) to see if it will stay running that way, then you'll know if it's the oil pressure switch for sure or not. Also, remember DO NOT hold the start switch for more than 15 seconds at a time, and DO NOT idle the engine. It should start and get to operating RPM ASAP!

cdisbennett

Thanks guys
I will bypass the oil switch and see what happens. What I was wondering about was why I can't control the speed. One time it starts and pegs the frequency meter the next time 60 hz 120 v. Pull or puch the throttle, no change.

I take it right up to RPM and only let it run for 10 seconds or so not because I knew better just was scared of screwing something up. What happens if you hold the switch for more that 15 seconds?

Charlie

Polycop

When you push or pull on the speed control knob does the cable move (you can follow it down to the governor area to see)? If the cable is bound up and/or broken that may be your problem or it may be a droop / governor issue. You can also set the max speed (all of which is covered in the TM).

In addition your frequency meter could be jacked up, do you have another way to test it?

cdisbennett

The throttle cable and everything is free and it appears the frequency meter is correct. It seems like it is turning up 2000+ rpms sometimes. I will verify with digital tach tonight. I will look at the TM and see about the droop and such.

Thanks for the help

Charlie

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you can't use the frequency meter as an indicator of the speed, unless you are absolutely sure it's in good working order.

As to the start switch, when you are in start mode, the battery voltage is put to the generator head through the DC bridge board to "flash" the field of the head. When you hold it for too long, you will burn up the bridge board, and possibly the voltage regulator.

PeterD

If the frequency meter is one that uses 120 volts (most do) you can check the calibration of the meter with a standard 120 volt outlet. The normal house current is very accurate as to frequency, so that works well.

cdisbennett

I played with it last night and jumped the oil pressure switch and same thing. When I manually hold open the shut off solenoid the engine stays running and when I release the plunger the engine starts to slow down until it stops. When it is running it seems as if ther is no speed control. The engine runs at whatever RPM it wants. Govenor problem?

Charlie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks