• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for fastening connectors and winding generator cables on reels?

2Pbfeet

For those not using their generators in permanent wiring hookups, how do you manage your cables?

Any tips for good ways to fasten connectors to reels?

For those of you deployed with generator experience who must have done this more than a few times, any tips from the field? Is there a TM that covers the recommended procedure(s)?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

2Pbfeet

EDIT: I am using 6ga type W portable cable, about 1.2" in diameter, a heavier version of SEOOW portable cable, with pin and sleeve connectors, 560 series. It is pretty similar to many of the portable power distribution cables used in the more recent military portable power systems.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd add what type of wire your trying to put on a reel...solid wire doesn't like being bent around but if you have "welding wire" type wire those can be wound up in certain diameters without issue. Are you storing the wire inside or under cover? This goes into what type of wire you have...some are not good for uv long term. What size wire is it? How long is the wire. Is the genset on a trailer? Do you use the genset often? Can you or do you have someone that can weld a steel mount? I'm asking this stuff because it would change how I'd store the wire. Great question though.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

2Pbfeet

I'd add what type of wire your trying to put on a reel...solid wire doesn't like being bent around but if you have "welding wire" type wire those can be wound up in certain diameters without issue. Are you storing the wire inside or under cover? This goes into what type of wire you have...some are not good for uv long term. What size wire is it? How long is the wire. Is the genset on a trailer? Do you use the genset often? Can you or do you have someone that can weld a steel mount? I'm asking this stuff because it would change how I'd store the wire. Great question though.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Thanks! I will edit the first post.

I am using 6ga type W portable cable, a heavier version of SEOOW portable cable. Given the photos that I have seen of deployed systems, the cables and connectors look similar, so I figured there are more than a few folks who have been down this path before. Thanks in advance!

I am storing it under cover in a mouse proof area.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 100' of SOOW 6/4 cable that I layer into one of the tool boxes on the trailer. It fits perfectly. I weave it so I can pull the generator end out and connect it without removing the entire string of cable. That allows me to pay out as much of the load end cable as I need to make the connection.

2023-10-27 15.30.33 (Large).jpg

2023-10-27 15.30.48 (Large).jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have 100' of SOOW 6/4 cable that I layer into one of the tool boxes on the trailer. It fits perfectly. I weave it so I can pull the generator end out and connect it without removing the entire string of cable. That allows me to pay out as much of the load end cable as I need to make the connection.

View attachment 909132

View attachment 909133
That tool box is perfect for that application.
Almost makes me wonder if that was its original intent...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think its a lucky fluke. I bought a generator recently that included load cabling would never fit in one of those boxes!

Maybe 25' would but not much more. I'll have to snap a photo of that cable next time I'm over there.

Guyfang

Staff member
Most PU's, (Power Units, single gen set ) do not have reeling capability.
There are a few, but not many.

Most PP's, (Power Plants, two gen sets) do not have a reeling capability. Again, there are a few. But reels and reeling machines, for instance the RL-31 (reeling device, hand operated), are "extra. They take up room on the trailers. And most military cables are bigger then civilian cables. Bigger diameter, longer. In HAWK, we had RL-31's and rolled our cables. A reel of power cable, the "light one" was only about 250 pounds.
The Data cables, were closer to 300. There was no room on any system trailer for such jumbo reels. They went in the back of trucks. Smaller cables went in trucks also. On a reel or simply tossed up on the truck.
The military never went big in reeling machines, Electric or Hyd. I have never seen an electric one, ever.

The only Hyd reeling machine I saw was mounted on the back of a HAWK SPL, (Self Propelled Launcher) and the tracked vehicle engine drove a HYD pump, to reel in cables. Scared the hell out of me. I saw a guy who did not turn it off soon enough. Broke his nose, upper jaw, lower jaw and knocked out 8 teeth, when the plug hit him. You can make something I am sure. Or buy something. But it just gets in the way on a trailer.

On every gen set I used in later years, we simply wound the cable around the set, and drove off. When came back to the barn, stored it in a connex. Do not leave cable on a reel, or coil it up, when powering up a load. You simply are creating a step up transformer. Pull it all off the reel and figure eight it, if you just want to be neat.

2Pbfeet

Most PU's, (Power Units, single gen set ) do not have reeling capability. There are a few, but not many. Most PP's, (Power Plants, two gen sets) do not have a reeling capability. Again, there are a few. But reels and reeling machines, for instance the RL-31 (reeling device, hand operated), are "extra. They take up room on the trailers. And most military cables are bigger then civilian cables. Bigger diameter, longer. In HAWK, we had RL-31's and rolled our cables. A reel of power cable, the "light one" was only about 250 pounds. The Data cables, were closer to 300. There was no room on any system trailer for such jumbo reels. They went in the back of trucks. Smaller cables went in trucks also. On a reel or simply tossed up on the truck. The military never went big in reeling machines, Electric or Hyd. I have never seen an electric one, ever. The only Hyd reeling machine I saw was mounted on the back of a HAWK SPL, (Self Propelled Launcher) and the tracked vehicle engine drove a HYD pump, to reel in cables. Scared the hell out of me. I saw a guy who did not turn it off soon enough. Broke his nose, upper jaw, lower jaw and knocked out 8 teeth, when the plug hit him. You can make something I am sure. Or buy something. But it just gets in the way on a trailer. On every gen set I used in later years, we simply wound the cable around the set, and drove off. When came back to the barn, stored it in a connex. Do not leave cable on a reel, or coil it up, when powering up a load. You simply are creating a step up transformer. Pull it all off the reel and figure eight it, if you just want to be neat.
Interesting point about not leaving the cable on a reel when powered up. I wasn't planning to, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Is a "connex" the same thing as a conex box, aka shipping container?

My cables are about 200lbs/ea on a lightweight spool, so not as heavy as yours, but a handful for me in the wet and on slopes. I probably need a few more field exercises to get fitter and not notice the weight.;) The cables run about a pound a foot.

I'm think of using some tarp ball tie downs to hold the plugs/connectors to the reel. I had tried using some one inch webbing, but I didn't find a solution that kept the connectors tied to the reel and not bouncing around.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Jeepadict

For those not using their generators in permanent wiring hookups, how do you manage your cables?

Any tips for good ways to fasten connectors to reels?
I keep two Hannay cord reels mounted aft of the fender wells, sourced from the 803/UPS Gensets. The left reel has 100' 50A 3-phase cable (from the UPS sets) terminated with their original cannon plugs...I have severe doubts I'd ever need it, but there's no rules when it comes to contingency planning. The right reel is loaded with 95' (was 100, but used a bit for my pigtail and suicide cord) of 6/3 8/1 SEOW cord with CA twist-lock plugs. If you'd like to see the illustrated version, here's a link to the fix-up thread I have going for the unit: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/another-802a-thread-but-finally-its-my-802.202287/post-2373597

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks