• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for Restoring Power

tgtaylor64

I have been running WVO and more recently WMO in my M1009 for over a year. Only when I switched to centrifuged WMO with 15% RUG did my power problems start. Starts fine (hot or cold engine) and runs smooth. However, no power. Will not go over the curb to my driveway! Ran Seafoam for 500 miles in crankcase prior to recent oil change. Also, changed the fuel filter. Ran a quart of ATF in the tank on last fill-up with fresh diesel. Any other snake-oil cures out there?

Matt65

I would first run 3 or more full tanks of pure pump diesel through her, B20 if available. Burn the tank almost empty before refilling. Carry an extra fuel filter. Make sure your fuel system including IP is in good health. Inspecting an injector or two would not hurt either.

richingalveston

sounds like a filter problem

no power but runs ok, sounds like a clogged fuel line or a dirty fuel filter.
maybe the centerfuge is not getting it clean enough.

the fuel lines are small, the WMO cold may be leaving a coating on your fuel lines thus making the inner diameter smaller and less flow.

I had a friend who build a veg oil car out of a mercedies diesel. he had the main tank for fuel and a second tank in the trunk for oil. since he did not heat the oil in the tank, he only heated the last 6 foot of line and after a year of use he had to replace the vegi oil fuel line because it had coated the lines and thus flow was not enough.

He oversized the line 4X until it reached the part where it was heated and drove the car for 5 years with no other problems before selling car.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When was the IP last rebuilt?

I have heard of a guy running straight ATF but the pump will only last 40k miles.

mudman

I don't understand why people would want to run ATF as a fuel additive. It has abrasive additives in it for the transmission. Personally I use 2 Stroke oil @16 oz per tank, and it is the ashless type also. It loves the stuff.

Sorry for getting off subject here...Carry on!!

CycleJay

Tip for restoring power:

Go back to using nothing but standard diesel from your local gas station.

The 6.2L Diesel was not designed or intended to be run on anything other than that.

Good day,

McCluskey

Tip for restoring power:

Go back to using nothing but standard diesel from your local gas station.

The 6.2L Diesel was not designed or intended to be run on anything other than that.

Good day,
Diesel fuel back in the day contained a higher amount of sulfur as an lubricant. Modern diesel contains a much lower amount of it. Some form of fuel additive is needed at times to allow the engine to perform as intended.

Goose2448

A 2000 model 7.3 needs over 500 Part Per Million of Sulfur. A 2012 model 6.6 can have no more than 15 Parts Per Million. All pump diesel is 15 PPM. Off road is higher, but is illegal to run on the road.