• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for storing a CUCV

NICK_M1009

Hey guys,
I live in Michigan and dont want the salt baths to rot my blazer more than it already is. So I parked it for a few months. Before I parked it today I put 1/4 tank of fuel and some diesel kleen in and drove it around a bit and parked it. Due to the bitter cold temp. in January and Febuary I removed the batteries and put them in the basement on a piece of wood.

Is it a good idea to let it sit for 3 months then start it, or should I lug the batteries out there every now and then through the winter and fire it up?

Any tips would be helpfull and thanks.

Westech

CPL
just let it sit till your ready to drive it again
there is no need to start it every week or what not. A good trick is to take off the air cleaner and place a ATF soaked rag over the hole and put the air cleaner back on... disconnect the red wire off the injection pump so it can not be started by mistake while the rag in is there.

lindyp38

Full tank of fuel.........treated for winter storage......

Batteries........water level.....checked and filled.....

Interior cleaned out..........not to invite...critters.........

soule64

I'd give it a good scrubbing underneath if the weather permits. I have two older civillian c-io's and they both rusted up pretty good near the fender pockets/pillars/rockers. The drain holes always get plugged with dirt and junk - I would make an effort to clean them out.

coolnick73

You might want to consider putting a trickle charger on your batteries while they are in your basement.

Stabile makes a diesel formula now. I would squirt some in and top off your tank. I am not sure if their fogging spray is good for diesel engines.

Armada

Completely fill the tank with fuel as stated above. Otherwise you will get condensation on the inside of the tank.
Be sure to drain any water from the fuel filter/water seperator on the fire wall. A lot of water in there could freeze and cause damage.
Test your coolant for it's freeze level. It should be good for at least -35 F.
Also, you didn't say if you parked it indoors or out. Either way, park it over top of heavy plastic sheeting or some other form of vapor barrier. Makes a huge difference on the amount of 'sweating' your undercarriage will do.
Oil your door locks to help keep them from freezing. WD40 will work and will help repel moisture in the locks. Nothing worse than not being able to get into your vehicle on a frigid day!
If you do occasionally run your truck while in storage, let it run long enough to remove all moisture in the exhaust system. 20-30 minutes minimum.

Last edited:

mikelee

Talked with some other streetrodders and they put mint oil in there cars on rags and keeps mice out . He owns some high end cars and said he never had a mice problem. Like you also mine will not be on the road but it will plow my drive way truck has no rust and would like to keep it that way.

rnd-motorsports

Yes Fuel tank full and check antifreeze for freeze point. I like to put a block of wood ( 2x8 ) or whatever under tires to keep them off the ground. And my grandpa always used the mint oil also. I always seen moth balls but I dont care for the smell so I will try the mint oil this year!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks