• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips for transporting m1028

FLINT

Hi all, a few months driving to my parents house, something happened to my truck causing it to shake - rather SLAM back and forth whenever i hit the slightest bump - like BAD death shake - but worse. So, I've realized that I'm never going to get around to fixing it since it is 2 hours away.

SO, I'm going to have it towed - tomorrow. We have AAA. Its like 98 miles from my parents house to the garage I'm having it towed to.

Is there anything that I should know NOW before I have it towed? Is there a certain way it should be towed? Can I specify that to AAA? Anything I should tell AAA when I'm on the phone?

Thank you for any advice!!!

FLINT

I replaced the steering stabilizer a year or so ago and that really helped.

the CUCV successfully made it to the mechanic on Monday (also a CUCV owner). He said the tires were SHOT, so we are going to replace those and see what that does for it.

ranchhopper

To be safe change out your king pin springs and bushings a very easy thing to do I was apprehensive about doing my first one until I found out how easy it was. Every 1008 and 1028 I have owned I changed them out go on fleabay and you can buy the springs and bushings very reasonable it will drive like a new truck tires and steering stabilizers are just a band aid for the real problem. You will ruin the front tires with a bad front end and an hour and thirty dollars in parts will fix the real problem for as long as you own the truck all the king pin springs I have changed out were fatigued enough to be a quarter inch shorter than the new ones.

FLINT

The new tires completely fixed the problem. I had already replaced the king pin springs and bushings before I had the truck towed to the mechanic - but after the bad shake problem. So its possible that the king pin springs/bushings ruined the tires - but I now have new king pin springs/bushings and new tires and I can't make it do the death shake at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks