• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Age in Hmmwvs

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my Humvee , the tires had seen better days, they where 14 years old, I decided to buy the Super Swamper 37x12.50R16.5LT Tire, SSR Radial - SSR-45R
, I think I paid $425.00 a a piece, so $2125.00 with spare, they provide a nice ride and the ride is really nice, I would buy them again.

Last edited:

diesel dave

Several years ago,major tire rebuilders/retreaders stopped accepting tires more than ten years old for retreading citing too many " catastrophic failures". For those old enough to remember,20 years ago,the highways were littered with blown heavy truck tires. Today,not so much.
Also,DOT inspections now can "red flag" a commercial vehicle with a tire or tires more than ten years old.
In my state-Pa-ALL vehicles must pass a yearly inspection. And part of that inspection is that the tires on ALL vehicles must be under Ten years old. Two years ago,I had to replace nearly new tires with no weather checking at all,on a cucv pickup I had. I was not happy.
several years ago,I borrowed a friends 5th wheel rv to take on a trip out West. It had brand new old tires. I blew one and on inspection of the others,they were all coming apart,so I had to replace them all.
we could argue back and forth and I'm not in favor of government telling me what to do. But when the retreaders stopped accepting my 10 year old casings,my tire problems came to an end on my heavy trucks.
just my 2 cents

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That being said, I feel that the age of the tire is no concern alk
That's a bit stronger statement than I'd make. I'd phrase it as "the age of the tire is but one variable among many".

I've had a nearly new tire blow also. 75mph in the red truck, back when the redtruck was new. *BOOM* and the driver side steer tire delaminated and did $2k worth of damage :(

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad thing is now that everyone is more aware of “tire age”, tires aren’t what they used to be, especially with the junk Chinese rubber flooding the market...

Special T

Tires generally fail because of heat build up. Air pressure, speed, Duration& Load play into this. Construction equiptment tires have a table for use, but DOT tires do not. Likely for liability reasons they dont produce them.

Driving on roads in the south are very different than roads up here in the NW. Pavement temps on the coast don't get to hot. I've driven on 35 year old tires that were weather cracked as all get out. They even leaked a few pounds a week. I only drove 35mph back and forth to work for a short period of time.

Tires are application specific so really have to look at them in That way. A Humvee tire on a Toyota that is 15 years old is no biggy. No load, and if it's jacked up that much probably isn't going down the freeway... 2c you mileage may vary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mr Cornbread

That's a bit stronger statement than I'd make. I'd phrase it as "the age of the tire is but one variable among many".

I've had a nearly new tire blow also. 75mph in the red truck, back when the redtruck was new. *BOOM* and the driver side steer tire delaminated and did $2k worth of damage :(
Thank you sir, you are correct, it is one of many variables.
I just personally don't worry myself over the age (date code) of a tire as much as I look at the general shape of the tire because of the "nearly new" tires that I have had to blow out. Any tire can blow at any time so I just try to be as prepared as I can at all times.
It may not make a difference, (and I'm not a fan of them by any means) but the technology in just the last few years have brought tire quality a long ways on the foreign made tires.
I'd just assume we not have any foreign tires here and have all our tires (along with everything else) made right here in AMERICA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you all for chiming in. I live near San Diego. Dry checking due to UV is the problem here. I have replaced two with relatively good M/Ts but the ride stinks now.

I am inclined to go Super Swamper Radials. I don't want to change the original look but another grand for original M/Ts that right poorly is a bit expensive for me. Since I am spending $$s, I think the safest route is new.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_1256.JPGIMG_1662.JPGIMG_1711.JPG
Some pictures with the Super Swampers, most people say that they don't belong on the Humvee, but I like the aggressive tread.
I would recommend rotating them every 3-4K or so, I usually turn rotate them when I change the the oil in the hubs

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks